Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Woweee! Looking good everyone.

Makes me want a garden after those pictures and lists! I miss having a garden and veg patch
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Couldn't be without my garden and sorry you haven't got one Spockky. Maybe one day. xx
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

27-04-2011, 07:21 PM
i've an allotment so...

so far i've planted potatoes, radishes, onions, garlic, leeks, spring onions, rhubarb, strawbeeries, raspberries and blueberries and apples

still to plant squash, pumpkin, tomatillo, lettuces, mangetout, green beans, purple green beens, carrots, cauliflowers, cabbages, broccoli, brussels
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
i've an allotment so...

so far i've planted potatoes, radishes, onions, garlic, leeks, spring onions, rhubarb, strawbeeries, raspberries and blueberries and apples

still to plant squash, pumpkin, tomatillo, lettuces, mangetout, green beans, purple green beens, carrots, cauliflowers, cabbages, broccoli, brussels
Hey Nick, have you grown Tomatillo before? My daughter wanted some for a recipe last week and we had an awful job getting them.
I will grow some for her if they are easy
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Hey Nick, have you grown Tomatillo before? My daughter wanted some for a recipe last week and we had an awful job getting them.
I will grow some for her if they are easy
First time growing them!

So far I've germinated them in a heated propogator in my Conservatory which seemed pretty easy. I'd say about 90% germination rate.

I've now potted them on into tall peat pots - still in the conservatory and doing well.

Next stage will be to put them out in plastic greenhouse in my back garden mid-May and they will eventually be planted out in the allotment early to mid-June, but they will be surrounded by a (home-made) fleece fence topped off with netting. Its 50/50 whether I'll get a crop or not (live in SE Scotland).

If you have a greenhouse then just grown them like tomatoes - I selected them because they are relatively easy to grow, like an easy tom and slightlyhardier - give them a go!

I got mine online from Simpsons Seeds who do an excellent catalogue.

Give them a go!
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2011, 09:18 AM
iv currently got some purple majesty potatoes growing, having kept a few spuds from when they came out last year in sainsburies. i casually googled purple majesty before thinking they would have green leaves (as mine have at the minute) but the only other "proper" reference is showing me they should be dark purple!

is anybody else growing purple majesty's?

p.s. also growing raspberries and blackcurrants ... planted in a kitchen bin each so i can move them if i want
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
iv currently got some purple majesty potatoes growing, having kept a few spuds from when they came out last year in sainsburies. i casually googled purple majesty before thinking they would have green leaves (as mine have at the minute) but the only other "proper" reference is showing me they should be dark purple!

is anybody else growing purple majesty's?

p.s. also growing raspberries and blackcurrants ... planted in a kitchen bin each so i can move them if i want
not sure about the leave colour for your purple majesties, but they get very good write ups as the 'healthy potato' with 10 x more antioxidants than most whites.

they are a second early so planted now should be ready about july but note they have a low shlef life so you want to eat them within a few weeks

apparently they keep their purple coulour after cooking - sounds like an excellent summer salad potato!
MadisonSale
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-04-2011, 09:30 AM
the antioxidant levels were what encouraged me to buy them last year, and they really do hold their colour! i had purple mash a couple of times wen i bought them thanks for the advice on the shelf life, ill keep that in mind wen i dig them up
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

28-04-2011, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by MadisonSale View Post
thanks for the advice on the shelf life, ill keep that in mind wen i dig them up
no probs, i guess if they are a second early you could plant some more seed potatoes in may and june for further crops in september / october (ish) if you are not too far north
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
If you have a greenhouse then just grown them like tomatoes - I selected them because they are relatively easy to grow, like an easy tom and slightlyhardier - give them a go!

I got mine online from Simpsons Seeds who do an excellent catalogue.

Give them a go!
I have got a greenhouse, so I think next year I will give it a go
Page 5 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >