Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2010, 12:14 PM

Hand rearing help

Just after some advice on hand rearing a 3 and a half week old puppy.

He is lapping at his milk replacement very well,i'm using the old fashioned recipe of half carnation evap milk/half cooled boiled water with egg yolk and dash of honey mixed in, I dont want to use whelpi as the vets say powdered milk suppliments has a risk of causing blockages, and the vets reccomended the old style recipe.

But this boy seems so hungry I boiled up some chicken breast and chopped it up finely for him try, and he's scoffed that down as well.

So i'm thinking I dont want to give him too many different foods and overwhelm his little stomach at the moment, so perhaps a complete puppy food mashed up like a porridge? and some milk based solids? as well as letting him drink as much milk replacement as nessasary...

Any help on hand rearing would be really appreciated,
thanks
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
Just after some advice on hand rearing a 3 and a half week old puppy.

He is lapping at his milk replacement very well,i'm using the old fashioned recipe of half carnation evap milk/half cooled boiled water with egg yolk and dash of honey mixed in, I dont want to use whelpi as the vets say powdered milk suppliments has a risk of causing blockages, and the vets reccomended the old style recipe.

But this boy seems so hungry I boiled up some chicken breast and chopped it up finely for him try, and he's scoffed that down as well.
So i'm thinking I dont want to give him too many different foods and overwhelm his little stomach at the moment, so perhaps a complete puppy food mashed up like a porridge? and some milk based solids? as well as letting him drink as much milk replacement as nessasary...

Any help on hand rearing would be really appreciated,
thanks

I cant really help you on this, but I do know what you are feeding is not what he needs.

You can get the correct nutritional milk replacement from the vet, what you are giving him is not nutritional ... the chicken or puppy kibble is also not the correct food for him.

Hopefully some breeders will be along soon to give you advice.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2010, 12:20 PM
I helped some friends out when their dog got milk fever and the pups had to come off, we used the supplement powder and had no problems. Feed them every three to four hours.
I had to stimulate them to poop or pee (not the nicest but gloves help).
Weighed them every day or two to make sure they were putting on weight.
Just wishing here that the rest of the litter was with this one as they use each other for warmth and learn to play and put each other in their place.
Not much help other than that.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

20-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
I helped some friends out when their dog got milk fever and the pups had to come off, we used the supplement powder and had no problems. Feed them every three to four hours.
I had to stimulate them to poop or pee (not the nicest but gloves help).
Weighed them every day or two to make sure they were putting on weight.
Just wishing here that the rest of the litter was with this one as they use each other for warmth and learn to play and put each other in their place.
Not much help other than that.

Yep, not a nice job, but one that needs doing.

If you cant get the milk replacement from vets, it can be got on line, but the sooner you get it the better.

Good luck, but agree with the above, these pups should have been kept together .
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
I cant really help you on this, but I do know what you are feeding is not what he needs.

You can get the correct nutritional milk replacement from the vet, what you are giving him is not nutritional ... the chicken or puppy kibble is also not the correct food for him.

Hopefully some breeders will be along soon to give you advice.
Jackbox, Apparantly the milk replacement i'm feeding is used by a lot of breeders? and is a very succesfull way of rearing pups?
This is what my vets said anyway?
Also vet said to get him on a puppy porridge and keep him on that and to just wean him like I would a normal litter of Dobes.
That said when i've had Dobe pup's in the past, i've had the mum with them who did all the hard work, and the puppies started weaning themselves by trying to steal mum's food from about 3 weeks of age, when I noticed they all wanted to steal mum's food i'd put down a soaked sloppy bowl of puppy kibble for them to walk through, eat off each other etc untill they learnt that it was actually for eating.

But it's a long time since i've been around pup's this small, So I want to do everything right.
Maybe the vets are giving me the wrong advice. After all, the vets are not breeders so wont be as knowledgable about weaning as a breeder would be.

Emma, Luckily for me, this little man is wee'ing and pooing just fine on his own. So thats one less job for me to have to do.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
Jackbox, Apparantly the milk replacement i'm feeding is used by a lot of breeders? and is a very succesfull way of rearing pups?
This is what my vets said anyway?
Also vet said to get him on a puppy porridge and keep him on that and to just wean him like I would a normal litter of Dobes.
That said when i've had Dobe pup's in the past, i've had the mum with them who did all the hard work, and the puppies started weaning themselves by trying to steal mum's food from about 3 weeks of age, when I noticed they all wanted to steal mum's food i'd put down a soaked sloppy bowl of puppy kibble for them to walk through, eat off each other etc untill they learnt that it was actually for eating.

But it's a long time since i've been around pup's this small, So I want to do everything right.
Maybe the vets are giving me the wrong advice. After all, the vets are not breeders so wont be as knowledgable about weaning as a breeder would be.

Emma, Luckily for me, this little man is wee'ing and pooing just fine on his own. So thats one less job for me to have to do.
This is just my opinion but the pup is too young to be weaned off all pup products that are substitutes for their mothers milk, they are the most complete formula and has all the right vitamins and minerals they need. They may start testing other foods but that is not a means to cut them off what is age appropriate for a pup. They may do alright but I wonder the impact it has on later in life health issues
As for the weeing and pooping they will do it on their own but they can be as full as before it happens as they normally need their mums to stimulate them at that age.
Meg
Supervisor

20-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi Kelz I agree with the others, your puppy should be on proper puppy milk, other things like evaporated milk may give it diarrhoea and should only be used in an emergency.
Meg
Supervisor

20-03-2010, 01:17 PM
.continued
When your puppy is between 4 and 5 weeks old and the baby teeth are starting to emerge that is the time to wean onto puppy food.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Actually, the recipe isn't at all bad in terms of nutrition, but I would be tempted to add a small amount of flax seed oil for omega 3 and puppy replacement liquid vitamins, and swap carnation for goat or buffalo milk (Waitrose). By the time you have done all that you may as well have bought replacement milk....
http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/bre...lefeeding2.htm

I would still be considering a puppy replacement milk. A small 2kg tub of this can be bought from Hyperdrug, and gradually introducing a puppy porridge eg fish4dogs puppy (great weaning food) as well as continuing with egg, whole fish, meat and offal and even vegetables in very very small amounts.

ETA another brand is Chudleys....

We feed puppy replacement milk to all our mammals eg rabbits/foxes and weasels and they all thrive on it! It is complete and you can stop 'blockages' at 3,5 weeks of age by introducing the other foods anyway.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Just to let you all know, I've been and bought some proper puppy replacement milk for little man.
I've also got some baby rice, and farleys rusk that i'm going to mash down with the puppy milk and let him try that for a few days to see how he goes.
If he does ok with that, then i'll slowly introduce more foods for him over the coming weeks.
Oh and apparantly little man will be 4 weeks old tomorrow, he already has teeth and they are blooming sharp too

I cant go into too much detail about whats happened on an open forum, but trust me if there was any way this little man could have stayed with his litter mates he would have done.
The couple that managed to survive are very ill, they are not expected to make it through this weekend.
I know it's not idea raising a young pup on his own, but I have to try, and hopefully Aura, and the little min pins will help to teach him manners, and bite inhibition etc.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >