View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2005, 07:46 PM

quick advice please - dog accidently hit in eye during game. Does he need a vet?

Hi All

Guess what - i'm panicking again!!

O/H has jusat been playing with Otis with his rubber tugger and they were both pulling it so hard it extended like an elastic band. Then my stupid boyfriend let it slip from his hand and it pinged Otis in his eye.

Now Otis's eye is really red and is twitching and a bit puffy. What do i do? Do i go to the emergency vet? Or can i do anything elese?

Jx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2005, 07:55 PM
It's probably just bruised. If it doesn't get very much worse, but he looks like he lost in the ring to Mike Tyson by the morning, then vet if you are worried.
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2005, 07:58 PM
Thanks - poor little mite was so stunned when it happened, but he didn't yelp! I am just worried cos it is only half open and is twitching.

I just had a massive row with O/H - can't believe how stupid he was!!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2005, 08:07 PM
Oh don't fight over it - accidents happen. When I first brought Lennon home (he was six months old) he harrassed and picked on my older bitch for a few weeks (they are settled now) and one morning I came downstairs and the poor old girl had the canine equivalent of a black eye! It was weeping and I took her to the vet as a precaution. It turned out the surface of her eye was scratched. She recovered after some drops and a bit of "alone" time.......they are best mates now...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Yes Otis I would definately go to the vet when you can, he can check for any damage also may prescribe anti inflammatories to stop the swelling ..maybe use a cold compress (made from a clean teatowel or similar rung out in cold water) to help to stop the swelling .
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Thanks Mini - i was only at the flippin vet yesterday cos otis has kennel cough!! Do you think it is ok to wait til the morning the go the the vet. He is ok now, just a swollen and red eye. He is sitting on his cushion chewing his bone.

j
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-11-2005, 09:10 PM
what is it you're supposed to put on a black eye? Raw steak? hmmmm......

Sounds like Otis isn't too bothered by his shiner. Accidents happen eh?
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2005, 10:49 AM
Morning all

Otis's eye looks much better this morning, but he is still slightly squinting/half closing it. When i lift his top lid it is still very bloodshot but not as bad as it was and still a bit watery - again though not as bad.. It doesn't seem to be worrying him too much.

Do you think i need to go to the vets or just watch it? O/h tells me to just keep an eye on it cos its just probably bruised and tells me i am pathetic when it comes to worrying over the dog.

Thoughts?

Jodie
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2005, 11:06 AM
I have similar problems to you Jodie - with people saying I am overprotective and I worry too much -

Don't listen to your OH... an eye injury is an eye injury and needs to be seen by a vet. If it was me I would take him...
crazy daisy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Hiya
The rule of thumb I use is if I did something similar to myself would I go to casualty,
Daisy
PS I haven’t been to casualty for over 18 years
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >