Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tara_G
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2005, 07:07 PM

Hilife pouches/do they sound ok?

At the moment were feeding Ellie on Aurtarky, but she won't eat it dry, I've tried wetting it slightly but she still only picks at it. So I've been mixing a small ammount of tinned food in with it. I did try mixing a third of a tin of chappie in, she did clear her bowl for the first few days, but without much enthusiasm, then yesterday she was only picking again and leaving about 2 thirds of it. So I picked up some hilife pouches today and gave her some mixed with the aurtarky tonight, she's gobbled it up and keeps going back to her bowl to lick it clean. The pack says there's no artificial flavours, colours or preservatives in it and the first ingredient listed is named meat(depending on the flavour, a selection of beef, chicken, turkey, pork and lamb, min. 26%), next ingredient is vegetables(min. 4%) the only other ingredient listed is minerals. Nutritional content is protein 12%, oil 9%, fibre 0.5%, ash 3% and moisture 75%.
Bearing in mind this isn't her 'main' food, just something I can mix with the aurtarky to get her to eat it, does it sound alright?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-11-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi Tara mm it contains 75% moisture ? and ash? could moisture be water and why does it need ash ....
If you are happy that is ok.. I personally would not buy from PP for etical reasons but that is just me .
If I was choosing something moist to mix with Aurtarky (though dry is much better for the teeth) I would go for sardines in oil, a little finely grated carrot or chopped green veg, a little grated cheese, fish or fresh meat
Tara_G
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-11-2005, 08:58 PM
yep moisture would be water, the ash is something to do with the vitamins and minerals, I think it's where they burn the food off to work out the nutritional values, the stuff that doesn't burn is the vitamins and minerals and so is called ash.
Who's PP? ellies not fussed on vegetables and the aurtarky has to be completely coated or she won't eat it
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2005, 10:34 AM
Hi Tara if you are happy with pouches and they suits your dog that is the main thing. I thought they were the 'Pedigree pouches' ..hence the PP but I have done a search and see they are made by a different company and they look ok . I still would not feel happy about paying for 75% moisture and would prefer to add one of the above to the Autarky to give added moisture

Most dogs will get used to crunchy food and it is good for their teeth and gums, I understand a dogs first consideration with food is smell then tase and texture , Amy has days when she does not find her food so appealing ...I think that is because as an old dog her sense of smell and taste are not so good.
I now buy the fishy treats 'sea biscuits' which are good for her and put a couple in with her 'Burns' mixing it well with my hands so the kibble picks up the scent.
She also has some veg and fish/meat.
You can send for free samples of the fish treats mentioned in the post here

http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/sho...5&postcount=51