View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-02-2010, 04:09 PM

Boy or Girl Puppy. Benefits and disadvantages.

Hi,
I will be getting a puppy soon. I've seen the puppies and the mother and I'm now to select one.
I've wanted a boy but the breeder told me they can be difficult when going through adolescence and she normally gives first-time puppy owners a bitch.

But I've also heard that bitches are harder to train than males. I'm getting a puppy for many reasons but one is that I will need a dog for the three year Training and Behaviour course I am starting in September. We already have a bitch (11) and I would really like a male.

Is there such a huge difference between a male and a bitch (apart from the obvious)? I would think not but have heard otherwise.
What are the benefits of a bitch and the benefits of a male?

Thanx.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:13 PM
I think it depends on the breed - for some breeds, there is probably little difference, but for others, there can be. (e.g. I know Shona has told me before that male rotti's are much 'easier' than the bitches).

I would think that the breeder knows what she is talking about (assuming there is no alternative reason for pushing you towards a bitch rather than a dog).

What breed is it you are getting?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:26 PM
I am quite surprised the breeder is pushing you toward a bitch pup, especially when you already have a bitch.

As Hali said, it could be due to the breed, which breed is it? If you are determined to have a male, then I would suggest you discuss this again with the breeder.

I prefer males (having owned both dogs and bitches) and wouldn't want a breeder to choose the preference for me.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Never having had a male I have asked a few breeders this question and got different answers from them all.

That males are more straightforward and less manipulative than females. That females are easier to train. That you tell a male and ask a female. That males are stronger and more easily distracted by other dogs (try telling that to my girly ) That females are more intelligent. That males are more affectionate.

So I think it has to depend on the dog.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I think this is one of those subjects were everyones experiences are different. There are IMO a lot of stereotypes (dogs are more affectionate, bitches are more aloof, etc.) that are just that...stereotypes.

That said, here comes my anecdotal evidence...

I prefer bitches to dogs. My bitches are more affectionate than my dog (my current dog, and my dogs of the past) and they are also more loyal.

My dogs on the other hand have always been more laid back.

Anyway, I do think depends on the breed when it comes to mixing dogs and bitches. With the breeds I prefer, having the same sex really doesn't matter. An older Greyhound I would have thought would be ok with either sex, but obviously only you can make that judgment.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I am quite surprised the breeder is pushing you toward a bitch pup, especially when you already have a bitch.

As Hali said, it could be due to the breed, which breed is it? If you are determined to have a male, then I would suggest you discuss this again with the breeder.

I prefer males (having owned both dogs and bitches) and wouldn't want a breeder to choose the preference for me.
There is one Dogsey member I'm sure who first had a male of a particular breed but found him too strong willed to handle. The breeder recommended that she have a bitch next time round and she said the difference was marked. It was one of the large breeds - but its really annoying me that I can't remember who it was or which breed.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 04:58 PM
What bred are you looking at getting? in some breeds the gender makes no to little difference at all....
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
What bred are you looking at getting? in some breeds the gender makes no to little difference at all....
Agreed - and from what I've read, in some breeds the bitches are easier, in others it's the dogs.... And whichever, it also has to balance with your existing ones.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2010, 05:26 PM
I think with some breeds there is more of a difference, with ridgebacks the bitches can be 'wilder' and more independant than the dogs but the dogs can be bolshie from 18mths-3years.
I know of some breeders who will suggest a puppy within their own litter which would be more suitable for an individual home.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-02-2010, 05:27 PM
I'm getting a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retreiva (Toller).

I currently have an 11 year old female greyhound.

Thanx for your interesting replies.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >