Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emmakay391
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2011, 04:26 PM

Petplan - Yearly dental check

My insurance is coming to an end so i have decided to switch over to petplan. Im gona take out the highest lifetime cover i think but reading the small print it mentions:
Your pet must have an annual dental examination

Im guessing this is for if i needed to claim for a dental problem and that it wouldnt effect any other claim?

Is a dental check something i should be doing every year as Duke is only 2 and his teeth are fine. They have a quick look in his mouth when he has his vaccinations but i dont think that would count.

He does compete in flyball and i know some dogs that have damaged their front teeth from hitting the box a bit hard..i worry that if Duke broke his tooth i wouldnt be covered?

I suppose i should ask petplan themselves but i just wondered if anyone else thats with petplan could explain?

Emma x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 04:33 PM
My vet checks my dogs mouths every year, during their annual check up; that is all that is necessary, I have been with Pet Plan for circa 20 years; no issues.
Emmakay391
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
My vet checks my dogs mouths every year, during their annual check up; that is all that is necessary, I have been with Pet Plan for circa 20 years; no issues.
Ah i suppose that sounds right, i keep his teeth as clean as i can anyway so he should be ok unless he injures one.

Emma x
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Emmakay391 View Post
Ah i suppose that sounds right, i keep his teeth as clean as i can anyway so he should be ok unless he injures one.

Emma x
Yep thats all thats needed, same for cats
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Our vet checks Cain's teeth each year with his annual check up/boosters. Just ask them to actually note it on his vet records as my vets didn't bother the first time and I had to take him back again
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 12:07 PM
Remember there is a first 2 months free with Petplan at the moment with a recommendation from a current customer , I can send you the details if you want. I always make sure the vet records the dental check on the records so if it does come up they need dental care there the info on the required checks is there.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 01:01 PM
On a related note, I think Pedigree are doing free dental checks at participating vets this month so may be worth checking out
Emmakay391
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. I signed Duke up straight after my post so cant do the 2 months free thing but thankyou anyway.

We actually got a letter from the vets yesterday reminding us Dukes booster and health check are now due so i'll make sure when we go they note down his dental check!

Emma x
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 06:46 PM
One of mine had a broken tooth last year, don't know exactly how she did it but it obviously had to be removed.

Petplan covered the lot (minus the excess, of course), including the dental x-rays etc, without a problem.

As others have said, checking dental health is part of the routine yearly MOT for them at the vets (or 6 monthly for some people, me included now that my dogs are getting older - my choice, not the vets idea!).