Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Alohacorso
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2004, 08:57 AM

Took Maui to a dog park--updated to add pictures

He had soooo much fun. It was his first time to be allowed to run and play with a ton of other dogs. I was so proud of him because at 90 lbs he is a big boy but was oh so gentle with the other dogs.

There was this one lady with a tiny toy poodle who kept bringing it up to Maui and saying "kiss, kiss" and putting the dogs face in Maui's. I give him many points for patience as he did not even try and nip at the irritating lady! LOL just kidding but she was bugging me.

The park is so pretty too. It is nicely landscaped and the dogs even have a pretty grotto type wading area they can play in. There was a hiking trail that led up a hill and was surrounded by dog friendly plants and trees (in other words, no poisonous plants just in case). It had little twists and turns to keep them occupied. All in all, a very good experience for Maui. He was a good boy!

What are your opinions on dog parks? Here these parks are off-leash although you are required to carry one at all times and have your dog under control.
Sponge
Dogsey Veteran

07-06-2004, 09:22 AM
Sounds like Maui had a great time....next time nip the lady...only jokin!

We dont have dog parks where I stay but there is a town park, and a 2 acre green park/field...my wee SBT loves it, but we have to ensure that there are no other dogs, we are in the process of heloing her with her doggie aggression.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Isn't it great to see them run free? We do not have dog parks as such, but just five minutes away is a stretch of sandy beach, miles long, which is a designated off-lead area.
Alohacorso
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2004, 09:27 AM
I have that problem with my adult female Mana. We can't take her to the doggy park because of her dog aggression problems too. I wish that I could but maybe someday. These parks are the only place on the island you can allow your dog to be off-lead. State law requires dogs to be on-lead at all times otherwise. That's the main reason the parks were built.

Good luck with your girl!

Aloha
Alohacorso
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-06-2004, 09:34 AM
There are a few places we can take them unofficially to the beach so they get to do that every so often. It must be nice to have one available whenever you wish to go. There are just too many tourists here as well as massive amounts of local beach-goers.
Carole
Supervisor

07-06-2004, 10:14 AM
Sounds like a great place for dogs. We found a beach last year that lets dogs on it over the summer, Star loved it.
Bon
Almost a Veteran

07-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Can Zoi and I came and visit...please, please. Sounds wonderful and I am glad Maui had such a good time.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

07-06-2004, 10:22 AM
We are very fortunate here. Even at the height of summer the many sandy beaches are practically deserted. Not all allow dogs but many do, particuarly on the 'off season' and when the fairy penguins are not nesting. It is a joy to see the dogs just running and running, paddling, and playing with the beach pebbles, seaweed, etc.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran

07-06-2004, 10:37 AM
I wish I could see fairy penguins.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2004, 10:55 AM
Sounds like you had a wonderful day So pleased for you And it sounds like a brilliant idea too

We don't have dog parks here but you can let your dog off almost anywhere it "unusual" to find somewhere that has a rule to make you keep your dog on lead

Karen
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »