Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 12:32 PM

Help! My dog is so dim!!

Did a re-run of an intelligence test on Sunday afternoon.

We were out for a lovely walk on the Norfolk Broads at How Hill on Sunday where there is a high gate and surrounding fence on part of the walk. We left Parker and Cherry off-lead behind the gate (no one-else about re Cherry) and we walked ahead. It was too high for them to jump.

Cherry looked around and went to her left about 10 feet and jumped through 2 of the wooden slats of the fence to follow us. It took her about 10 seconds to figure it out. Parker stood there at the gate for 5 minutes waiting and wagging his tail! We had walked ahead quite a way hoping this would be an incentive for him to move but no - Jamie had to go back to open the gate for him!

We are not sure how much eyesight Cherry has but know it is not wonderful so I have a new saying.....

"In the world of the dim the one-eyed dog is King (or Queen!)"

Perhaps he it is just sheer laziness or co-dependency as he saw Cherry jump through the fence. Last time we did this a few years ago Cherry ran around to the end of the fence about 40 feet away and joined us and he still just stood there!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Yes, I`ve got a hintertektually challenged dog. Shamus was well behind the door when they gave the brains out.
Just wanted to reassure you - I feel your pain. Like when you have to carefully show the dog on the other side of the fence where he got into the flippin field so he can get out again.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Know this problem well, we have Duncan brains of Britian in fact far to clever for us as he runs rings around us, then we have Mollie well what can I say, we love her lol
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 02:44 PM
I feel for you. I can't figure Rupert out to be honest, if there's a gap in the fence he finds it, if there's a door to be opened he opens it, he can unbolt gates, squeeze through the tiniest of gaps AND find his way back throught he same gap and can show surprising intelligence at times. Then at other times he's as thick as two short planks as my dad would say.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Sika has moments like this too. One time she went up the track from our house and got through the gate into the field which runs beside our garden. When I saw here there I called her back and she sprinted up and down and up and down the length of the fence but couldn't think to get back out the way she went in, I had to walk up the road and show her the gate! At the same time, once you find the right way to teach her something, it sticks in her head really really well!
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Tbh having a dog that won't duck a fence/ gate it's behind's probably no bad thing. Sheep may safely graze an all that.