Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 06:32 PM

Talking to dogs too much

This sounds daft(as usual), please forgive. I often find myself saying, for example 'good girl' to my dog when really shouldn't, because she might just be laid on the settee I try only say it when she's 'being good, listening n staying with/trusting me etc(not running off for a good roll in something etc). She listens to me ramble on sometimes and think is not so much what's said(because doesn't know what am talking about) but tone of voice. Have always tried to use hand signals/actions/body language, but sometimes think use too many words/talk at times despite trying not to. Is 'less is more'(with voice)always best thing with dogs?(i have been told is n try but sometimes forget) No offence to anyone at all, but just wondered(sorry if not explained very well).
Many thanks.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 07:02 PM
From Katie became so ill i find myself telling her what a good girl she is - almost continuously if she eats her renal food - which she has decided she doesnt like anymore. I think its almost as if she eats, she wont deteriorate if that makes sense. Then i feel guilty because i dont tell Harvey how good he is to eat - he never notices anyway, head goes down & stays dowm until the bowl is licked clean - very quick & efficient at eating is the boy
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
This sounds daft(as usual), please forgive. I often find myself saying, for example 'good girl' to my dog when really shouldn't, because she might just be laid on the settee I try only say it when she's 'being good, listening n staying with/trusting me etc(not running off for a good roll in something etc). She listens to me ramble on sometimes and think is not so much what's said(because doesn't know what am talking about) but tone of voice. Have always tried to use hand signals/actions/body language, but sometimes think use too many words/talk at times despite trying not to. Is 'less is more'(with voice)always best thing with dogs?(i have been told is n try but sometimes forget) No offence to anyone at all, but just wondered(sorry if not explained very well).
Many thanks.
i cant see the problem with any of this, incl saying good girl for being on the settee.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 07:12 PM
I never stop talking to Pepsi. In fact when we lost Mo the thing I missed most was not having anyone to talk to.
(Well I do talk to my hubby, but he answers back )
AJB
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2011, 07:18 PM
I talk to Kira and Dylan all the time. I work from home so there's a lot of chit chat. This afternoon I was sitting on the sofa using my laptop and Kira came to sit with me. She rolled on her back, I tickled her tum and told her she was a good girl. She loves it and so do I.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2011, 07:21 PM
I talk to my lot all the time, I even ask them what they're doing I have to say I don't actually expect an answer, just in case you were wondering
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 07:21 PM
I don`t see the problem unless you`re actually training. (In which case you might confuse the dog. ) I`m sure the dog enjoys hearing your voice.
I know Daisy wags her tail when I say her name. Bless.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2011, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I don`t see the problem unless you`re actually training. (In which case you might confuse the dog. ) I`m sure the dog enjoys hearing your voice.
I know Daisy wags her tail when I say her name. Bless.
i like to chat to the dog in between commands as well, i find that is a good training technique
vilmusius
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2011, 07:49 PM
I do talk to my dog and cat as well Specialy on walks
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 07:53 PM
I see nithing wrong with any of that - and she IS being a good girl lying nicely on the setee

I think talking is more than fine - except when you are asking them to do something
my mum does my head in
'comeone mia, come over here and be a good girl and sit here for me, no, noo, please just be a good girl and come here and sit ...'
once word to DO something
'mia' - gets her attention
'sit' - she knows what I want
'what a gooood girl, you are the best most pretty girl in the whole wide world, what a goooood girl'
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >