Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 06:16 PM

Is it me or OTT - Breakling Sticks ?

Can I have some honest opinions please ?

Would you if you had a phobia of other dogs,especially bull breeds attacking your dog, carry a breaking stick and use it if you felt it necessary when out on walks ?

I own two SBT's and don't own a breaking stick let alone carry one on walks and I own a DA dog.

If not used properly they can cause injury even death to a dog and should never be used on other breeds,if I ever saw anyone attempting to use a breaking stick on either of my dogs I think errrrmmmmm,how shall I put this....... they would have it shoved where the sun don't shine
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I've heard of them but have no idea what they look like, or how/what they do. No I wouldn't carry one anyway - that would be total paranoia!!
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Would you if you had a phobia of other dogs,especially bull breeds attacking your dog, carry a breaking stick and use it if you felt it necessary when out on walks ?

I wouldn't ...but see nothing wrong if someone did .... presumably it would only be put into action in event of an "incident" in which case I am sure all involved parties would want said incident resolved quickly and as painlessly as possible...

I have never witnessed their use nor even seen any but a fair few of my US friends (mainly those with APBT) do keep them and believe it wise to have them handy just in case - although most say they have never used them ...
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 06:29 PM
An old man once waved his walking stick at my first GSD - who promptly pinched it. She loved sticks.
Yes, I`m with you on this. You threaten ma dog, I smasha you face.
The worst think you can do in a fight is to up the violence - to hurt one of the dogs. They just assume the fight is escalating and fight harder.
The `grab the hind legs and scoot backwards` is the best way to break up a fight.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 06:30 PM
I've never actually heard of them But I don't think I'd use one...they sound awful...but then again I've never seen one.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 07:10 PM
I don't own one and I would not allow anyone else use one on my dogs. They are mainly used by Bull breed owners.

If two Bull breed are having a ruck they pulling them apart could cause more damage than necessary.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Never seen one. Wouldnt be something i would buy. I think if i thought there were potentional problems on a route i took i would change my routine, possibly change the route & change time i went out

Sometimes i do carry a stick but thats because of knee problems
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Eek what's one of them?

I've used Pet corrector on a horrible little evil thing once when it tried to eat Zeke's leg bone, and got a gobfull
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 07:32 PM
Don't know what one is tbh(just tried quick google but not sure, am not very quick you know). I always carry a large, heavy stick nowadays, if nothing else it seems to make other dog owners put their dog or lead(most of time) if have mine or friends dog on lead.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >