Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2011, 05:39 PM

Bad walk

Just had the walk from hell.

Walking around a large field (fully enclosed) My friend and I saw a large number of people and dogs heading straight towards us so I called my 3 to heel and she (having a dog aggressive JRT) picked hers up as she didn't feel that she could control him on the lead with the number of dogs heading our way.

There were a total of 10 dogs with these people, 6 huskies, 3 Inuit types and an Akita. These dogs came over to us so I got mine to sit and wait as I had never seen them before and didn't quite know what to expect.

They all seemed to greet each other fine but \i made mine sit and wait until every dog and person had gone and then released them and carried on.

Next thing I know the Akita is flying at Meeka having doubled back and has her on the floor and then all hell broke loose when another 5 of the dogs decided it was a free for all scrap

I hauled the Akita off of Meeka by its collar and handed it back to one of the people who promptly let it go and it flew at Meeka again but luckily I caught it on its way past.

Storm jumped in the river to escape, he is such a wuss, and poor old Willow was trying to dodge trouble by just rolling over and flattening herself on the floor

Scrap over and dogs all on leads, the Akita owner had the cheek to say that it was Meekas fault as she hadn't known how to read the Akita's body language and must have challenged her She felt the sharp edge of my tongue, believe me

Meeka's fine, just a couple of puncture wounds but being thoroughly pampered
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 05:46 PM
OMG - how frightening. Relieved Meeka ok could have been so much worse. Stupid b......y woman. I would have lost it big time. I am glad you gave her what for. Those type of people make me sooooooo angry
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 05:50 PM
She would have felt the sharp edge of my tongue too if her dog had attacked mine like that That would have been my worst nightmare, 10 dogs approaching me like that with mine sitting beside me onlead behaving herself. That's just what I would have done, then I would have let her off just as you did after they had gone, but I always take a look back just to double check they had really, really gone on their way. To think a dog would double back like that just to have a pop at yours is quite incredible to me I'm going to have to make doubly sure myself now, coz my dog wouldn't have been able to "read another dog's body language" either, she would have retaliated at the first sign of aggression guaranteed!

Be careful about picking these strange dogs up by their collars too when protecting your own dog, coz one of them swung round and bit my wrist the other week and I had to let it go! It then proceeded to bite my leg as I put it in front of my own dog which I had pulled behind me, and because that hurt a lot, I had to release the grip on my own dog, she chased it off herself and bit it on the side! Hmmm, I might just let her get on with it in future when another dog comes over to pick a fight with her!!! I then had to pay out £97 on her dog's vet bill I couldn't be a*sed to fight the case in court and tell the world her dog had bitten my leg, life's too short, BUT, had it made a mark on MY dog then she would have got the works from me!!!

If it's a big enough field, I make darn sure I get out of the way of people like this now, and I've had to change my walks just to be able to do this! It's supposed to be a pleasure isn't it Always some moron who spoils it
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
OMG - how frightening. Relieved Meeka ok could have been so much worse. Stupid b......y woman. I would have lost it big time. I am glad you gave her what for. Those type of people make me sooooooo angry
So true, Sue, it could have been a lot worse but luckily the huskies were more intent on scrapping between themselves. Not sure what I would have done if they had all piled in on mine cos I only had one pair of hands

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
She would have felt the sharp edge of my tongue too if her dog had attacked mine like that That would have been my worst nightmare, 10 dogs approaching me like that with mine sitting beside me onlead behaving herself. That's just what I would have done, then I would have let her off just as you did after they had gone, but I always take a look back just to double check they had really, really gone on their way. To think a dog would double back like that just to have a pop at yours is quite incredible to me I'm going to have to make doubly sure myself now, coz my dog wouldn't have been able to "read another dog's body language" either, she would have retaliated at the first sign of aggression guaranteed!

Meeka is my most astute dog H and she lived with an Akita for 5 years so is well aware of any body language it might have displayed and so would I. Having got a soft spot for this breed I did give it a look over as it went past and it seemed fine but something must have given it second thoughts and it came back
Be careful about picking these strange dogs up by their collars too when protecting your own dog, coz one of them swung round and bit my wrist the other week and I had to let it go! It then proceeded to bite my leg as I put it in front of my own dog which I had pulled behind me, and because that hurt a lot, I had to release the grip on my own dog, she chased it off herself and bit it on the side! Hmmm, I might just let her get on with it in future when another dog comes over to pick a fight with her!!! I then had to pay out £97 on her dog's vet bill I couldn't be a*sed to fight the case in court and tell the world her dog had bitten my leg, life's too short, BUT, had it made a mark on MY dog then she would have got the works from me!!!

Poor you, I just reacted I'm afraid, Meeka is only 25kg wet, she needed her Mum
If it's a big enough field, I make darn sure I get out of the way of people like this now, and I've had to change my walks just to be able to do this! It's supposed to be a pleasure isn't it Always some moron who spoils it
It's very rare to see anyone where I walk which is why we go because of my friends JRT who is extremely dog aggressive (he's okay with mine, a work in progress ) and unfortunately we didn't see them until we rounded the corner so I only really had time to call mine back in. I will be even more careful now
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:24 PM
I hate to hear of this sort of thing. Some owners don't seem to care especially when they are in groups. I hope the fur babies are fine now and you of course as it was obviously traumatic xxx Hugs from me xxxxxxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-01-2011, 06:31 PM
(((Hugs))) to all.

Some people. Glad you gave them what for.
alfiebasher
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:47 PM
i really try to avoid situations like this,,im soo glad your all ok,,,i would have been fuming,,,what happened to common sence,,,,,,,,,,
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Am so sorry this has happened n hope you're all ok (x)
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Poor Meeka! Sounds like a horrid walk and how dare the owner say that to you when it was your dog being attacked!

Hope Meeka is okay, big hugs from us!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Oh my! That is my worst nightmare. Stupid idiot woman
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >