Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bengee
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-01-2011, 01:37 PM

Dog tag

As Harley is not very good at recall it got us thinking, the worst scenario would be he would be returned to the Blue Cross as he has a tag on his collar and is micro chipped to them as well.
So to play safe we are going to have a second tag fixed to his harness with our phone number on.
Now the question, do I add his name?
That is if ever my wife and I can agree on one, we go through all our past cats names first, last time I called him by a work mates name.
Must be having a senior moment
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:42 PM
None of my pets have there names on the tag. They are all microchipped so I see it if they aren't stolen and are going to be returned the person can call as both mymobile and hme numbers are on the tags as well as my address. If they are stoledn the thief has things made easier by knowing the dogs/cats name !!
Greyhoundlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:59 PM
It's not a good idea to put the dogs name on in case of theft.

By law your surname, post code, and telephone number is required. (we put both land line and mobile) We also put chipped and neutered on the reverse side.
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I agree with what's been said above. Put on everything necessary for the tag to be accepted by law, since it's quite a hefty fine if you don't.

On Kiba's tag I have 'Fang' instead of his name just because there was a space for a name and his translates to Fang. My boarding tags just have the name and address of my house on them. You could choose any old name to put on there if you wanted to, but in case of doubt just don't put a name on at all. If he was picked up by someone unscrupulous, or worse, stolen to order it's a lot easier to shift/sell a dog when you know the name it will respond to.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:36 PM
If a dog is already in the hands of a thief it is immaterial whether or not the name of the dog is known as the dog is effectively out of your hands.

Secondly, a friendly dog may well respond (if not actively seek out other people as seen by some threads on here) to ANYONE, often in preference to the owner! So not having a name on the tag is again immaterial.

Thirdly, a dog that will NOT respond to anyone other than an owner will not respond whether the dog's name is know or not, and so once again is immaterial.

I have often heard the arguments for not having a dog's name on a tag as " a thief could see it" as dog tags are a) not that large and the writing is even smaller and b) the tags hang down under the head (if placed on a collar) that argument has seemed to me singularly senseless?

I don't put the name of my dogs on their tags for one simple reason, I can reuse them with subsequent dogs and one tag is now on a third dog! (Not that I am cheap or anything)!

A legally compliant tag is one that has YOUR name and address on it, whether complete eg 1 ANOTHER street etc

or 1 with POS TCODE etc. Anything else is a nice to have.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 04:21 PM
I put my dog's name on the tag. I didn't really think about it. I suppose there was no real reason to, as people can't read the tag from a distance and so can't call her to them, and it's not likely a thief would care. I guess I did it because if she got out and someone found her with the collar on, they could THEN call her by her name.

We ultimately opted for her name, our names, and both of our phone numbers.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 01:10 PM
It must be noted from the last post that the laws in the US may well be different from the UK...............
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It must be noted from the last post that the laws in the US may well be different from the UK...............
Um ok...do I need to explicitly state that or something?
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Ours has our surname - but our surname is one that it could well be a person or dog's first name anyway.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2011, 01:48 PM
our dogs tags have our surname on one side and then our phone number, house number and postcode on the other side
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >