View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
loonylloyd
New Member!
Male 

06-05-2017, 05:05 PM

New Shiba- Is it more responsible to return to Breeder?

Hi Forum,

Thanks for reading!! Have already learned lots.

First off, I fully accept the responsibility of my actions and know that I very well may have been stupid.

I recently have been reading about dogs, especially the Shiba Inu. After doing research, I knew I would not be able to care for a puppy, so emailed the breeder curious about adults or perhaps an older pup. She suggested an older pup at 16 weeks that was "very easy" , and would be fine with my 9-5. She said I should put down a deposit if I was serious because the dog would go fast- I got way to swept up in the moment.

Cut to 1 week later and I am feeling like I made the worst decision of my life. I didn't research the breed enough, live in an apartment, and am very active. Things are getting better (the Shiba is sleeping through the night and house trained), yet still I just don't feel like i'm someone who would be good for anything less than a lazy old dog that I would be happy to carry into retirement.

I know it eventually gets better, but i'm not even sure i'm looking forward to those days. My friends are imploring me to stick it out because it's incredibly cruel to return a dog.

The breeder would welcome him back and I know there would be zero problems finding this purebred Shiba a home.

Any advice on what point in time I should consider returning if it still isn't right? Fully realize that I do not deserve a ton of sympathy.

Thanks for your guidance!!!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

06-05-2017, 05:32 PM
I think the breeder is very irresponsible anyway persuading you that a 16 week old puppy is 'easy' where or how that one was thought up, who knows. Probably because there was money in the offing I should imagine. As a breeder myself I would never ever let anyone who lived in an apartment have a puppy of mine, nor if there is no one in the house all day.
The breeder will possibly take the puppy back, don't be surprised if there is some amazingly well thought up reason as to why not though.
There are so very many senior dogs in kill shelters, who would welcome a warm bed and quiet life and not die because no one would take responsibility for them in their old age
loonylloyd
New Member!
Male 

06-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Thank you, Tawney!! Greatly appreciate your perspective
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Not sure I understand tbh, you say you're very active but are now wanting an elderly dog, why? Surely a younger dog would suit your active lifestyle better. I agree with Tawney though, a 16 week old pup is not the easy option and while you're confident the breeder will take the pup back don't be surprised if there is a financial penalty.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2017, 06:23 PM
No way should that breeder encouraged you to have a dog that was unsuitable for your needs. I am sorry that you have to return him but it is for the best for him.
loonylloyd
New Member!
Male 

06-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Not sure I understand tbh, you say you're very active but are now wanting an elderly dog, why? Surely a younger dog would suit your active lifestyle better. I agree with Tawney though, a 16 week old pup is not the easy option and while you're confident the breeder will take the pup back don't be surprised if there is a financial penalty.
Great question - by active I mean busy lifestyle . Thanks so much for your response!!
loonylloyd
New Member!
Male 

06-05-2017, 07:03 PM
Thanks for your response, Moyra!
LucyJones
New Member!
Female 

25-05-2017, 02:21 PM
I think in this situation it would be best to contact the breeder. It doesn't seem responsible that they would offer you the puppy after you explained your situation to the breeder. I agree that plenty of shelters have senior dogs for adoption and that might be a better option for you. However, if you are extremely busy any dog might not be great for you as they all need time and attention. If you do consider the senior route, heres an article on on senior dog adoption that might be helpful! https://figopetinsurance.com/blog/ti...ng-senior-dogs
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2017, 07:11 AM
I am appalled! Not only is it ridiculous to say that ANY puppy is easy, to say that a Shiba would be fine living in the situation you describe is totally irresponsible. No way could a Shiba be left home alone for any length of time, let alone 9-5. Poor little dog, you are in a horrible predicament as clearly you need to take the dog back to the breeder ... to possibly go through a similar trauma all over again. The breeder should be shot in my opinion. Best of luck x Gnasher