competitions,but don't know how to go
about it,as I understand she has to be
registered with the KC,but she is a x breed,
can anyone help please?
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 06:55 AM
Are you a member of an agility club? They should be able to give you all the information.
Yes, you do need to register her with the KC, you can get the form http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/download/378/form5.pdf you also need to get her measured before you compete.
cally
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Excuse me for being stupid,but why is
there all this red tape? why is agility different
from companion dog shows?,I thought you
could just enter a competition as you would
a horse show,and why do dogs have to be measured?
I think I would know what class for her to go in.
As I have to get her measured,where would I get
that done?.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2008, 11:05 PM
The red tape makes it easier for them to keep a track of all the dogs - there are hundreds at any one agility show
Also the dogs have to be measured so you know which height class to go for, measurments are usualy at shows
You register your dog - thinking of a cool name for her (that noone else has) 1st and then you find somehwere to get her measured and then you can enter comps - check the agility eye to find out when shows are - you have to enter before the closing date you cannot just turn up on the day

Its a good idea to take yourself and your dog along to some shows beforehands - I havent been to many but they are v busy and confusing so its good to find your feet

Have you been training long?? who do you train with? they should be able to help you more and point you in the dierection of shows where they will be at so you have some friendly faces
TBBS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2008, 06:58 AM
KC agility shows are licensed by the KC and they need to know what dogs are attending, I have known of at least 1 dog being banned from KC shows because it attacked another dog. The shows also need to get insurance. There are hundreds of dogs at KC agility shows if not thousands at some of the larger shows. All dogs have to be measured to before they compete and there agility record book signed so they know what height you need to compete at and you can be asked to show your record book, I never have, but my dogs are obviously large.
As I said before, the club you train with should be able to help you with information on getting your dog registered, measured and then schedules for shows.
There are quite a few agility shows around know that aren't KC, like EMDAC, UKA, etc, that you don't need to be registered with the KC, although UKA have their own registration system.
As for horse show jumping, you don't need the horses registered for local shows, but you do to compete with the BSJA.
cally
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-09-2008, 05:56 PM
I do know that you have to be registered with
the BSJA for show jumping,but that's for affiliated
shows,I was talking about unaffiliated,but then I'm
going back about 25 yrs ago,so things could have changed
a lot since then,so with agility you have the same
thing,affiliated,and unaffiliated correct?.
Thanks for your help,it does make sense.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Yes there are affiliated and unaffiliated Agility shows, but there are still things which apply to both ie measuring, [ so a dog competes at the correct height ], and entering in advance so the shows know how many to expect for things like insurance, ring numbers, splitting classes where necessary, capping where relevant at unaffiliated shows etc
It`s not as complicated as it sounds but getting dogs measured can be a real pain in the proverbial some times especially in areas where shows are thin on the ground during the Winter, though some clubs do have measurer`s come to them and invite non-members to get their dogs measured too, keep an eye on Agilitynet and the agility forum for shows and clubs which have measuring sessions planned
cally
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-09-2008, 06:18 PM
It looks like I won't be able to start in agility
competitions as there seem to be no shows in my area,
so I will have to make do with training every week.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Whereabouts in Herts are you Cally ?
Maybe we can find out about any Winter League shows for you as the main season is winding down now for Summer shows really - do you train at a club or on your own,[ if you train alone we can try to fill in the gaps for you that a club would usually sort answers to ], and how far are you able to travel for any shows we can find out about for you
cally
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2008, 02:31 PM
I'm in Stevenage,and train at Stotfold which
is about 15 mins up the A1m,my club only
does displays through the summer,they are'nt
competitive,we do have a club comp every April
for the members where you win trophies,I can't travel too
far as Summer is a nightmare in the car,she is in a cage,
but I have to have ear plugs as she's constantly barking
and whining.