Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by eloquence View Post
and mine please!!!
I would try to escape from a violent person! Fail in that my next best option would be to talk a physical response would be my absolute last recourse because it would be highly unlikely to succeed, I'm not very big or strong and any increase in the threat of violence would definately not benefit me. All this of course is in the situation of self defence I would not dream of seeking out a confrontation with someone I felt threatened by.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2007, 05:47 PM
I think Azz and Hewey do make a lot of sense.... BUT... thats assuming your in a calm rational position to think about it.. like here debating on forum.....

In the heat of that kind of threat to your family though... I believe the majority would instinctively go out to protect their family... no matter what it took...

If our legal system was working as it should.. then you'd not get that far down the road... But with the state it's in now.... I see little choice...
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
C'mon guys - don't get hostile towards Hewey, she is expressing her opinion in an adult manner and deserves the same respect back - don't forget this is a discussion thread not a support one.

As it happens, I think she is talking a LOT of sense.

If for arguments sake, Jackie attacked her daughters boyfriend and ended up in prison, how dumb would that be? How will she protect her daughter if she's locked behind bars? Will her husband then do the same if the guy didn't get the message first time round? What happens then? Who will look after the rest of the family? Will they be put in care? How will it impact the other childrens lives? Will they get taunted at school that their parents are criminals? etc etc etc etc

I know the legal system has it's faults, but look at the alternative - getting put behind bars for a 'short term' fix is really really dumb. It will just escalate the situation - you might take one person out but what if that persons family want's revenge? Just look at what happens in the ghettos and you'll begin to see why it really isn't very clever.

I know it's hard when you're family is involved, but do yourselves a favour THINK before taking action. Failing to do so could really screw yours and your families lives up for a very long time.
I agree Azz but if you are in that situation perhaps coherent thought isn't possible.

For instance - if I discovered a neighbour - or anyone - interfering with or hurting my baby I would not be thinking reasonably and at that moment I would not give any thought to the points you've highlighted. I would think about protection and revenge in no particular order.

It's like when the guy in the field kicked my on lead dog. All I could see was this idiot kicking my dog who was on a lead and being had a go at by his off lead dog, PLUS the fact he was recovering from fits and taking this guy's kicks. I didn't think about two wrongs not making a right or turning the other cheek, I saw red and defended Loki.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2007, 05:51 PM
i can see your point azz but as a parent in jacs situtation and as a parent myself then if i felt it was the only way to protect my child from the hell this person was putting her though i couldn't sit by and wait for some awful to happen to her.
i'm not trying to have a go at anyone, just stating the law as i know it from working within the system, if it came to losing my child or stepping in and taking the punishment i would.
i am not saying my actions are the right way but if my back was against the wall and my daughter was getting hurt then i would do all i could to stop it.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
I would try to escape from a violent person!
I would too - if a nutter in the street tried to attack me (not my family etc.) I'd run as fast as I could.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
In the cold light of day people would not dream of taking the law into their own hands and the police are the first port of call ... and the second ... and the third. However if they fail us, and where our own loved ones are concerned, I think a lot of people would only think about their families and those thoughts would be geared to protection.
Yes I appreciate a lot of bravado is spoken :smt001 You don't actually see a lot of this getting as far as to be reported in the papers apart from a few regrettable vendendettas that seem to involve a young teenagers involved in gang stuff.
I think if I really felt the the justice system had failed me despite all possible attempts to see it work I would look hard at the option of simply removing myself and family though before resorting to taking matters to a different level on the basis that a parent in the docks is no benefit to any family.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2007, 05:57 PM
so if i understand you correct you would be driven out of your own home etc 1st.
but thats just it you shouldn't have to be pushed to such an extreme measure.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2007, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
Ya know what... I try to make a wee joke and laugh about it all, in between the serious points I make... but just look around... every day in the papers theres some filthy criminal suing because his cell was dirty or his dinner was late or some other stupid stuff like that.. and they win their case and get compensation.... it's no wonder our society has no law and order.... and while Brady or Sucliff or any other of these filthy scum are eating at the top table... our pensioners are freezing to death in winter...Maybe it's a broader argument but if the do gooders who are against discipline were to get real and use there voices against the real culprits... instead of making excuses for drug takers, violent offenders, perverts etc etc etc then maybe... just maybe......

Well put mate, The dogooders aswell tend not to have any expeirence of the world most of us live in, they live in their quiet crimeless little hamlets telling the rest of us we should feel sorry for these scum.

With regards to the main subject violence is not nice and should only be used as a last resort but imo it is acceptable in some cases. The police in this country at the moment are a joke, three time I have delt with them and each time I was left speachless at the stuff they come out with.

1st time we were broke into but luckly Storm and Jake treated the person as a snack the copper who came three hours later did not mention anything about prints, or even if anything was taken, but went on to say about the dogs maybe taken if the scum makes a complaint and after ten minutes going on said there was not much he could do but would check a&e to see if any dog bite victims in. If I had got hold of the scum while waiting for the police dog bite would have been the last of his worries.

2nd time some drunk little chav put a brick through the car window, I went after them but lost sight, when the police came I gave a discription and told them where I lost sight, you would think they would look, NO, I get told they are not going to look as I am the only witness I was also told about my behaviour and breach of the peace crap.

3rd time was we saw 3 kids snap the wing mirror off the car, me and a mate went looking but they knew every ratrun in the area so lost them we got back as the police turned up and my sister sped off to look herself, they started going on about my sisters speed and even driving without a wing mirror, I had ago saying she is doing this as the police are useless, I was told how many police they have to cover the area, this I knew to be false because i used it in a complanit about the time taken after the break-in, I told them this and also if so bad why did they send 3 pc for a broken wing mirror.

All three cases I would have use violence if I had caught them, it may not be right but I would not have had to if the police had done the job theu are paid for IE catching criminals instead of saying what is likely to happen to the victim.

anyway rant over.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2007, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
Sorry, why one was that?
Page 5, post 50
Thanks
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-04-2007, 06:04 PM
azz a question........... if you was out on a walk minding your own business and a person starting hurting rocky so badly he could be moved away from the situtation and abuse hes enduring at this person hands what as his owner would you do?
i know its not the same as a child but wouldn't you try and stop it in which ever way you could to protect him?

i couldn't stand and watch the abuse and pain my dog was going through and if mine was down i couldn't simply move them away from it.
wouldn't you be angry at this person for doing it to your dog etc.
Page 9 of 18 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 > Last »