Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-11-2012, 03:36 PM

Manuka Honey - best brands?

Many of us have been talking about Manuka Honey recently, so I thought we could have a thread about the different types/brands that are out there, and how we rate them.

I hope to add to this thread myself, as I think I have tried about 10 different types

Also, I have emailed quite a few of the manufacturers as to their processing techniques - and I have found some good info that you may be interested in... but I'll add that later too. What I will say tho, all Manuka honey is not equal - so much of it is in the small print, and what they *don't* tell you.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-11-2012, 04:14 PM
I know there are 2 different strengths. I sometimes take the girls on to waterboard property (they have given me permission) and there is a guy keeps his bees on there and sells it locally, he reckons it is better than Manuka, but don't know enough about it all to argue the toss with him. It is good stuff though.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 04:43 PM
I admit I got the Sainsbury's stuff because it was Sunday and I was on a mission to have it now! It is 15+. The only other one next to it was Rowse, which is also 15+.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Steens raw 15% manuka honey from Waitrose...

I am not a great fan of honey and eat it on sufferance with lemon juice...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 08:38 PM
Isn't the New Zealand one the only one which has a high strength value? Somebody I know from New Zealand told me this, but maybe it all comes from there anyway, but different companies here mess around with it before putting it on the shelves?

I'd like to know which is a really good one though, it was mind boggling in Sainsbury's the other day reading the labels!
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 09:03 PM
What is special about Manuka honey? I keep hearing about it. Is it the taste or its properties that are special?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2012, 10:03 PM
I have bought the New Zealand one, 22+ potency, and it is absolutely delicious!! The supermarkets don't seem to stock such high strength, but you really do need it if it is for medical purposes, especially if it is for wounds.

I have used it twice (on vet instructions) on Jimmi's paw which was in a bad way........a wound which would normally take a long time to heal up given it's location, depth, width etc. The first time, the paw was initially bandaged over the honey and full recovery time was two weeks. This latest episode began last Tuesday - no bandage just honey - it is almost completely healed less than a week later. Quite remarkable given the severity of the wound
Azz
Administrator
Male 

05-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
What is special about Manuka honey? I keep hearing about it. Is it the taste or its properties that are special?
Good question Heather I was coming back to this thread to update it so might as well start with this

What's special about Manuka Honey?

Honey, all honey, has natural antibacterial properties which is peroxide based. However, Manuka Honey has a unique non-peroxide antibacterial property (as well as the normal peroxide type antibacterial property).

The reason why this is a good thing, and why it matters is because the non-peroxide antibacterial activity is less likely, or I guess slower to stop working by the reactions of the body's natural defences. So it is more effective, in that the anti-bacterial activity lasts longer. Also, as it has two types of antibacterial property it is stronger than most other honeys too.

They have used it successfully against MRSA, where antibiotics have failed for example. As well as for burns and other skin related problems. It is also effective against H.Pylori, and a whole host of other bugs and infections.

What makes Manuka Honey special?

So how comes Manuka honey has this special property - well that's something they haven't worked out yet, although it is almost certainly to do with the nectar the Manuka Honey bees feed on... guess which plant it is? (It'll all make sense when I tell you....)

The Manuka bush - Aka the Tea Tree plant... which we all know has itself, natural antibacterial properties

Ok that's enough for now - will add more later
Meg
Supervisor

05-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Hi Heather it supposedly has antibacterial qualities and I understand it has been used for centuries by the indigenous people of Australia and New Zealand.

The first time I heard about it was when my late father had a leg ulcer and it was recommended by someone then but was very difficult to obtain. He managed to get some but not sure where from and it helped.
I was advised to take it by a nurse at the chest clinic.
Carole
Supervisor

05-11-2012, 10:21 PM
I was looking at the Costo offers this month and they have Queen Bee Manuka Honey on offer but it says 12+ Active so thats not strong enough is it?
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »