Our sister sites
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-09-2012, 12:08 PM

Body confidence.

How do you get it?
I used to be confident about me but now I just aren't

I have a picture of me at 18 (I'm now nearly 27) in a killer pair of jeans and nice top and was full of myself. I then gained weight (about 3 stone) and just felt like a heffer.
I've since lost the weight and am thinner than I have ever been as an adult (I can now take the killer jeans off without undoing them) but can't get that confidence back.
I guess in my head I am still the fat girl from a couple of years ago and I don't know how to get rid of that.

I guess this is more of a mini rant than anything but if anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2012, 02:26 PM
I can remember you when you was younger, and larger than you are now. Then I left JDT and didnt see you for ages but when I did I couldnt believe how different you looked!

I dont have any advice, I used to be a size 8 right into my late 20's but nowadays i'm a 14 and just hate the way I look. I'm starting to see wrinkles and saggy skin, my grey hair is hard to hide, my body wobbles everywhere and thats why i'm quite happy being single. I wouldnt have the confidence for a start to strike up a relationship.

But for what it's worth (and obviously i've only seen you with your clothes on, lol!) there is absolutely nothing wrong with you, I wish I was as slender as you, and would quite like the little bit of extra height you have too!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Firstly
WELL DONE YOU - loosing the weight is a great thing

You wont feel like you did when you were 18 - and thats a good thing - I remember being 18 - sure full of confidence in my body - but the mood swings and the know it all attitude - no thanks

How did you loose the weight? are you eating healthy and exercising? you might have overdone it a wee bit and be missing out on some neutrients which are making you feel not as great as you could

- I know I did the same thing myself - a few years back I lost a whole load of weight - I was exercising like mad and eating hardly anything
But I was down because I just didnt seem fit - I couldnt keep up with my friends when I was working so hard

Then I realised it was cos I had overdone it - I ate some more, put some weight on and felt amazing - that year I ran the great scottish run (and I hate running) and did all day mountain bike trails
I looked and felt fab

Unfortunatly life got a bit sucky after that, I have put on the weight and a bit mroe to keep it company Im also so much older
But althought I dont like how I look I know I am the only me I have - and when I scrub up I know I am looking good for me - sure it could be better - but better to get out there and have a good time knowing that its not me who has to look at me anyways

and 6 months ago I got me a partner who is crazy enough to love the way I look and tells me so every day - much better than the guy of 10 years who every time I got dressed up would look at me, sigh and say 'oh is THAT what you are wearing'
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2012, 04:44 PM
I am much bigger than I used to be.
I am also older
I am also wiser.
We evolve.
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2012, 06:40 PM
I think we are all too hung up on "perfect" looks. Much more impirtant things in life that will make you happy! I used to be a size 8, now about a 14 and really couldn't care less
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-09-2012, 06:46 PM
I work in a factory full of fellas - works for me but it might mean a career change for most
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2012, 07:09 PM
The only way I started feeling comfortable in my skin was to stop thinking about how I thought I looked.

The more you worry about how you look, the more it brings you down.

I've always found wearing something that made me feel good helped though, even if it was just a t-shirt a bra or even a necklace..

Thats all I got..
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
The only way I started feeling comfortable in my skin was to stop thinking about how I thought I looked.

The more you worry about how you look, the more it brings you down.

I've always found wearing something that made me feel good helped though, even if it was just a t-shirt a bra or even a necklace..

Thats all I got..
Yes good point - a new smell can be a big boost too - even if its only a £1 body spray

and a low cut top is great on a real fat day
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Yes I exercised and ate healthly to lose the weight. I'm currently not doing any extra exercise and am not really watching what I eat (good job with all the meals out I've been having recently!).

I just can't connect what I see in the mirror with me, I'm terrible with clothes, knowing what suits me and goes together, am always asking my little sister for advice!

Unfortunately when I lost weight my boobs vanished!
jantet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-09-2012, 09:07 AM
I hate mirrors. Who is that old woman who pushes in front of me so I can't see myself? She pushes in front of me in photographs too.

When I was young I was very slim yet also blessed in the chest department! However, I know that if I lose any weight now - and I do need to - it will disappear from there too!