Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2005, 01:49 PM

Raw Food Advice Needed

I have started thinking about a raw diet - it is a huge step for me and I have a few questions which I would be grateful if someone could answer.

Has anyone had any problems with RAW chicken bones splintering or getting stuck, etc?

Raw meaty bones - is this essentially raw chicken 'bits' or large marrowbone?

If you take your dogs on holiday, how do you cope, or do you revert to something else for that week or two?

Do any of you ever feed any time of carbohydrate as well?

Thanks.
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2005, 02:29 PM
hey there.

sometimes people have problems with bones not being chewed properly and 'getting stuck' or splinters in the stomach, which is why it is very important they are fed raw and also u need to teach ur dog how to chew them properly without just swallowing, by holding onto the other end until they get the idea.

raw meaty bones are anything thats 50% meat 50% bone as i understand it.. so chicken wings, ribs, chicken necks etc. You can also feed marrowbones between meals, but they arent classed as meaty bones, but your dog will love trying to lick the marrow out

with carbohydrates, i believe dogs find it difficult to digest potatoes and they can be poisonous, so dont give those.
some people do feed vegetables with the meat, but blended down because dogs cant digest the cell walls unless they are cooked.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Raw Meaty Bones is all kinds of bones - not only chicken.. Lamb, oxe whatever...

I'm thinking about it too

I'll send u a link in a pm to a barf site, you can do as I do, join and ask all kind of questions

the lab-barf site I've joined are really nice

J
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2005, 03:26 PM
I never had a problem with Teagan or Kingsley eating bones. They both crunched them.
You may find at first, that their poo has chunks of bones in it...this is because their body has to get used to breaking down the bones.
I fed veggies, but not *with* the meat, as they are digested/broken down differently.
Jenny is right, the veggies must be cooked, or raw and blended for your dog to have any beneficial effects from them.

There are a fair few raw threads on here, which have a lot of useful info on them.

This is how I used to feed Teagan,(when she weighed a lot less!)

Weight = 90lbs
2% = 1.8lbs food per day

60% = RMB (Raw meaty bones) (wings, carcass, necks, ½ meat/bone)
25% = Meat (Mince)
10% = Offal (tripe, liver, kidney, lung)
5% = Veggies

1.08lbs RMB (17.28 oz/489.8 grams)
0.45lbs Meat (7.2 oz/204 grams)
0.18lbs Offal (2.88 oz/81.6 grams)
0.09lbs Veggies (1.44 oz/40.8 grams)

You don't have to feed everything in one day, aim to feed the required things over a period of one or two weeks. Turkey can be very rich, and give tummy upsets, as can too much offal (I found too much offal gave Teagan tummy upset)
I fed the above amounts over 2 meals a day. Giving veggies/fruit/veg in the morning, with the meaty bones in the evening.

The main problem I found, was that Teagan was getting too much protein, which unfortunately made her agressive (This was the main reason I took her off the raw diet.)
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Thanks guys.
Kirsty
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-05-2005, 05:43 AM
Go for it, its something that me Ian took too long thinking about... and wish we had done it sooner.
We were worried when he first ate chicken carcasses, nut he looks better than ever... someelse have just switched to raw food and he's dog go mad for it.
I'm no expert on feeding raw and still yet got to find a good supplier of food for him, at the momemt its still hit and miss with what we get him.
So many people use Landywoods and thats where we will be ordering some of the stuff needed.

Your vet may tell you its no good to feed this type of food, but most of them no nothing about it. As I said go for it, your dog will thank you big time for it.
Ruthlynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2005, 07:45 AM
Hi there,
Murphs two and a half and been mostly raw fed since we got him at 8 weeks. The first few chicken wings were very scary but Murph had no problem with them. I've never had problems with bones sticking etc.
I tend not to give Murph carbohydrate as it bulks him up and at 40kgs he doesn't need anymore bulk!
He eats veggies too, whizzed up but I do feed them in a mix of meat, liver, yoghurt,eggs and garlic. I've been making my own for the past year 'cos there are no 'ready made'raw mixes over here in France.
he has chicken wings, carcasses, rabbit, veal/lamb ribs for his RMB's.

TTFN