Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-02-2005, 06:33 PM

agility beginner

hi! Can you tell me your opinion or experiences with agility?
my parson russel Jack and I would like to train/do agility and we are searcing for your opinions. thank you!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2005, 03:49 AM
I do fun agility (not competitive) with my Boxers. The dogs absolutely love it and I see no reason why your PR should not enjoy it. It gives dogs and owner some exercise

First - your dog needs to be fully fit, no joint, lung, heart, etc. problems. He also need to be fully grown. It is disasterous to start a puppy on full agility before the bones have finished growing. You can start preparing a pup for contacts but no jumping or placing the pup in a situation where it can fall.

Second - you need to have very good verbal control of your dog, and it needs to be able to comply with signalled instruction as well as verbal. It is therefore wise to do obedience first so that your dog knows that it must focus on you and respond very quickly to commands. You must also be able to handle your dog on both left & right.

Third - You need to join an agility club in your area. Agility training is specialized and you need a good instructor.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need more information
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2005, 04:47 PM
thank you Shadowboxer
as soon as the snow will melt away, Jack(my dog) and I will go to join agility club.
I would be glad to hear some agility adventures
wish you a lot of fun with your dogs!