Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Fernsmum View Post
I have had whippets for over 20 years and they have cost me very little . They are usually very healthy and do not suffer from the hereditery disorders some breeds do .
They are happy to eat whatever you feed them and I have never had one which was fussy .
Running so fast and not having a protective coat they are prone to getting skin tears and mine have had these occasionally especially when they were young .
Two of mine died last year age 14 and 15 and were healthy all their lives .
There are some really nice coats on sale for them and I must admit to buying one or two the same with collars .
If all dogs were as healthy as most whippets vets would be going out of business
My advice to anyone thinking of getting a whippet is go for it the only thing is they are addictive so be warned
Pretty soon you will be wanting another !!!!!!!!!!!!
Good post!

I think the article is a load of twaddle.

Any dog can cost loads. One person can have a dog that hardly sees a vet it's whole life, someone else could have a dog of the same breed and have all kinds of problems health wise. As for £99 a year for food, I could maybe just about do that and I pay trade prices.
AmyH-Cornwall
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2010, 08:28 AM
What a silly article!

I would like to know why Beagles are third most expensive? I do spend a fair amount on Monty but mostly through choice! Monty is over 8months old now and has only been to the Vets twice (fingers crossed) and both times nothing was serious! (prob me over-reacting) Beagles are one of the more so-called healthy breeds!

My only guess could be that they have a good lifespan - therefore costing more in the long run - as I am sure a St.Bernard would cost a lot more with food etc.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Good post!

I think the article is a load of twaddle.

Any dog can cost loads. One person can have a dog that hardly sees a vet it's whole life, someone else could have a dog of the same breed and have all kinds of problems health wise. As for £99 a year for food, I could maybe just about do that and I pay trade prices.
What Loki's mum said Maltese dogs do they even register as he is the most expensive dog I have owned yet!!
Snoringbear
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-06-2010, 12:38 PM
The OP has omitted a "9" from the food bill. It should be £996.67 per year. Here's the article:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-the-bank.html
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Oh well, if it`s from the Sun it must be true.....
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Snoringbear View Post
The OP has omitted a "9" from the food bill. It should be £996.67 per year. Here's the article:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-the-bank.html
I had thought it must be a typo!
Freyja
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-06-2010, 08:01 PM
I have 8 whippets and together with a greyhound and an irish setter it costs me £12 a week to feed them all. so that works out at £624 a year to feed them all.

As for grooming costs why would a whippet need to go to the groomers? Mine get brushed once in a blue moon usually just before going in the ring at a show.

I do know people that buy countless collars and coats for their whippets but mine have a coat and a collar and lead each with the excpetion of Owen who owns 2 collars
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2