Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brianh111
New Member!
Male 

17-06-2010, 04:40 PM

UK's most expensive dog?

Did anyone read this today?

"The Whippet, according to a recent study, is the UK's most expensive dog to keep.
The popular racing dog was closely followed by the Basset Hound and The Beagle, both of which cost over £4,000 pounds a year to keep.
The costs of keeping a Whippet were broken down by compareaholic, who ranked food as the biggest cost at £99.67 per year. This was followed by Vet Bills at £662.38.
Today’s household pets are treated more like members of the family and this new attitude is reflected in the amount owners spend on their pet’s lifestyle.
With Whippets living to around 14 years,The Sun priced the lifetime cost of owning this prized pet at over £60,000 (just under $100,000), or the price of a small house.
But Britains are obsessed with this dog, particularly in the North of England where dogs are bred specifically for racing. Given the returns they can bring in, it's little surprise that so many pet owners are willing to bare the costs of owning Britain's most expensive dog. "

I've been thinking about getting one but didn't realise they were so costly. Does anyone have one? Do you know if these figures are accurate or can I do this cheaper?
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Hi, welcome to dogsey.

In my opinion the figures in this article are ridiculous, if they really cost this much I very much doubt they would be as popular as they are!

I have 2 border collies and I think their food is the most expensive part of keeping them, as hopfully vet bills are and will be few and far between as long as they have a healthy life with everything they need, of course vet bills are a fact of keeping pets but £60,000 for the life of a whippet sounds to me like a figure made up to sell papers.....
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2010, 04:57 PM
£99.67 per year to feed- what are they eating, gruel?!?!

No wonder they're so skinny
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 04:57 PM
My friend would possibly agree with it, her Whippet is 6mths old and has cost in excess of £2000 in Vets fees alone so far!
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 05:00 PM
£662 a year in vets bills?! Unless it had some kind of ongoing condition from birth thats just ridiculous and even if you did pay £760 odd for food and vet bills a year, I can't imagine what the rest of the four grand would be spent on. Even if you had it professionally groomed and top range toys and insurance I'd imagine you'd be hard pressed to reach that amount... Cowpoop if you ask me
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Lol £99 for food. Kiba eats through the equivalent money in food every 2 months!

I suppose if they're on about racers the cost would be in breaking legs, tearing ligaments etc?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Silly figures. Some dogs will cost more, some less.
Insurance is the biggest cost - probably an average of £35 per month plus your contibution in event of treatment.
Food - £10 a week? Yes I know you can feed for less, but that`s an estimate to include supplements etc.
Toys, coat bed, blanket, collar and lead, chews - anything from £100 to £1000
So - I`d expect an average size dog to cost around £20+ per week. Smoking, getting stoned or drinking would cost you more, and be a lot less pleasant.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Vet bills probally include vaccinations, wormers deflea treatments etc.

I saw this in the sun and was more confused how a whippet can cost its owner £547 for grooming...
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 05:21 PM
I have had whippets for over 20 years and they have cost me very little . They are usually very healthy and do not suffer from the hereditery disorders some breeds do .
They are happy to eat whatever you feed them and I have never had one which was fussy .
Running so fast and not having a protective coat they are prone to getting skin tears and mine have had these occasionally especially when they were young .
Two of mine died last year age 14 and 15 and were healthy all their lives .
There are some really nice coats on sale for them and I must admit to buying one or two the same with collars .
If all dogs were as healthy as most whippets vets would be going out of business
My advice to anyone thinking of getting a whippet is go for it the only thing is they are addictive so be warned
Pretty soon you will be wanting another !!!!!!!!!!!!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2010, 09:36 PM
i think thats rubbish i cant see how they can get those figures, and compare them to every other breed. and, £99.67 a year to feed is nothing!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >