Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 02:10 PM

Is this expensive???

omg!! i have just phoned the vets to enquire about my boyfriends dog getitng the snip. the vet said based on his weight (5kg) that it will be between £93 and £110!! is this about right? it seems really expensive to me?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 03:35 PM
wow, that is a lot for his weight. its usually spaying that costs loads... jake got his done by the SSPCA, so im not sure how much it should be but a friend of mine got her SBT done, and he was £100... and her female, also SBT, was £180. but they obviously weighed a lot more.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
wow, that is a lot for his weight. its usually spaying that costs loads... jake got his done by the SSPCA, so im not sure how much it should be but a friend of mine got her SBT done, and he was £100... and her female, also SBT, was £180. but they obviously weighed a lot more.
it seems exspensive to me hes only small. and ive just had the price for my dogs boosters and they were £28?
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 03:42 PM
i would try contacting some other vets to see how much they charge.
it does seem a lot for a dog of his size!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 03:46 PM
There`s a special offer at Medivet in my area - neutering £45. Definitely shop around.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2010, 04:06 PM
I phoned quite a few vets asking about neutering, the cheapest I found started from £115 for the smallest dogs, so round here thats not expensive.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 04:12 PM
I would not think that is to expensive - and to be honest - I am a bit phobic about trusting my vets - so I would rather go with someone I know than pop down to where ever happens to be the cheapest.

Good luck with sorting it
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 04:13 PM
I paid £120 for a 23kg dog. Defo worth shopping around!!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2010, 11:20 PM
Do some vets charge by weight and others simply for the procedure? And I am guessing if there is a retained testicle (ref another thread), it will cost more. My colleague got his Springer done not too long ago at Vets4Pets and they had a special offer for neutering, I think it was about £69.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2010, 12:08 AM
Hi,

I can't remember how much it was to get my boys done but I know that generally in Birmingham the prices range from around £60-£180. I think it jsut depends on the vets themselves, the size/weight of the dog and any possibly complications (such as an undescended testicle).

I agree with the others. You should shop around and get an idea of the range of prices. You never know, if you like your vets but don't think they shoudl charge so much once you knwo how much others charge you coudl always ask your vet to justify their charges. I've done this once and ended up with a 35% discount, I wouldn't recommend doing it too often though.

Laura xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >