Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 03:07 PM

Agility. Advice on how to start, what to do, please

Hi guys--

please forgive my ignorance on the subject of agility/working as it's not something I've done any research on at all, so I know nothing!!

After seeing a post by Gordonlover, and the Agility dogs at crufts having so much fun I thought it might be nice in the future to do a bit of this with Archie , maybe not competitively or anything but just for fun really, to keep him fit and his mind stimulated.

As you may or may not know , Archie is a wirehaired Fox Terrier. He will be 8 weeks on Thursday.

Could anyone give me some advice about the different things to be done, especially concerning terriers, and maybe recommend some books or something? As I said, it's just a thought which sprang into my head this morning so this is really the beginning of my research, and I haven't even decided if I will do it yet.

thanks

tuti
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2005, 03:20 PM
Hi Tuti - I can't recommend any references, but your local dog training clubs/associations might have an agility section?

The important thing to remember is that until Archie is at least a year old and his joints are robust enough, he should not do any full-impact agility, but there is no reason why he can't do some of it. You can buy fabric tunnels for kids on the high street that are great fun for doggies

I would also think that a fairly good basic obedience grounding is important (recall, down-stays etc); something we are still struggling with with our 9 month old cocker spaniel at the moment :smt102 I had hoped to train him, and maybe compete in working field trials; but that is a long way off yet :smt101
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 04:02 PM
thx for the reply iwlass-

forgot to mention in the first post that I won't have him jumping through hoops or anything at 8weeks!

The fabric tunnels sound like a great idea, I imagine they're great fun for a youg puppy too

We will be going to training classes too

good luck with your cocker
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 05:35 PM
Hi Tuti.

If I was you, I would go to my local agility club and see them "in action". I would talk to the trainers there if they could suggest any movies, books etc for you.

Then I would consentrate for at atleast a year or so on the basic ob. To me thats very important wheter youŽll have your dog as a pet, comp. dog or whatever.

I would forget all about tunnels, hoops etc at home, until your dog have learn the basic and have learned that you are the one to follow It wil make everything easier for the both of you no matter what you decide to you.
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2005, 06:16 PM
Originally Posted by amts

I would forget all about tunnels, hoops etc at home, until your dog have learn the basic and have learned that you are the one to follow It wil make everything easier for the both of you no matter what you decide to you.
Is this why I'm having trouble with my cocker's obedience, do you think ? He has always played in my daughters "tunnel" - running through it, and rolling in it - would it be better to withdraw this kind of play until he is 110% reliable with the basics?
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2005, 07:26 PM
I dont know Iwlass but I must say many move forward too quickly before the dog totally gets the basic.

It can also be age, just a period your dog is going through, ...lots of stuff.

I think training should be fun. Especially for the young dog.
Succes and avoiding the things "you cant win", breaking the bad habbits at once, etc is so important to me when they are young.
I think itŽll save you from a lot of trouble later.

What specific problems do you have?
rrkimba
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-07-2005, 01:24 PM
hi tuti!
i have a four month old rhodesian ridgeback who i wish to do agility with in the future. i have reaserched it well, so i can help you. agility training classes do not start until your dog is fully developed, at 12 months (but some clubs take them at 10 months). your dog will need to know basic commands (sit, down, stay) as well as left and right. i reccomend "agility, a step by step guide" by Patrick Holden and John Gilbert, it is an excellent book, which has everything you need to learn. Agility comps usually start when your dog is 18 months old. i hope this has helped!
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2005, 01:36 PM
I am going to start agility with my younger setter Molly! She will love it, I hope! I might have to stop smoking though, it might kill me! Have contacted a Honiton club, will let you know how we go!

There is apparently a lady the does agility with her gordon setters in the club, so I wont be the only setter ownwer there!