View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2013, 06:14 AM
Not what you want to hear when you go to the dr's.

I dread to think what they would tell me, I avoid them like the plague!
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2013, 05:05 AM
The main reason I left the Uk was doctors... After 30 years of major misdiagnosis, abuse and damaging wrong treatment my trust has vanished totally.

In Ireland at least I can sack a dr,, but in fact I avoid. Like others I get repeat prescriptions but avoid seeing the dr; never even met the one in my last house or the one before that. ie around 7 years, Only met this one as she happened to be there when I went in to register.

If I had a broken bone etc, fine but not something like M.E or anything systemic.

In spite of them all I HAVE LIVED TO BE 70 and am very very sure that had I gone on trusting them I would not be here.

The very idea of that machine with its tales of doom appalls...

But to the smoker; I hear this a lot, that we all have to die of something but smoking is just evil; slow suicide. All the organic gardeners I meet at markets smoke heavily, are as thin as rakes and look so unhealthy...Please, quit! Stay with us!

Blessings and peace; off to walk the dogs!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Anyone who continually has repeat prescriptions without seeing a Dr, or Drs who give repeat prescriptions without seeing their patient is taking a big risk.
Things change and the need for prescriptions should be reviewed regularly.
I certainly would trust a doctor who continually signs scripts willy nilly without seeing me.
They tell you of your risk factors so that you are aware of the risks and do all you can to minimise them
If a ciggy puts your B/P up for 20mins after, then for at least 20 mins you are at greater risk of a stroke of heart attack.
Being told the health risks of smoking or being over weight makes absolutely no difference to the majority of patients
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Anyone who continually has repeat prescriptions without seeing a Dr, or Drs who give repeat prescriptions without seeing their patient is taking a big risk.
Things change and the need for prescriptions should be reviewed regularly.
I certainly would trust a doctor who continually signs scripts willy nilly without seeing me.
They tell you of your risk factors so that you are aware of the risks and do all you can to minimise them
If a ciggy puts your B/P up for 20mins after, then for at least 20 mins you are at greater risk of a stroke of heart attack.
Being told the health risks of smoking or being over weight makes absolutely no difference to the majority of patients
Not at all. I know my needs and I know my body and my illness and nothing has changed. No adverse reactions etc
I trust no doctor basically and check all on line with good results. I only registered as the meds I need are only on prescription and made it clear that that was why. My immune system is so weak that waiting rooms are a real risk and the dr knows that.

The leaflets that come with the meds are great and tell far more than a dr ever has
And so is the pharmacist.
Each to his own way. Mine works fine for me and my needs which is what matters.

With an illness like ME it is self help that matters. A tone stage I was on so much harmful prescription junk and then I took control.

But the abuse I have suffered at the hands of drs makes it very very difficult for me even to go near the surgery, PTSD is a very real factor and I am too old and too busy to go through any more, need some peace at the end of the day..

totally agree re the smoking and overweight neither of which applies to me.. but a the end of the day it is choice and the freedom to make the choice.
jayneybabe15
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-12-2013, 07:20 PM
thats awful..i wouldnt have like to have heard that,,im a born worrier anyway ..ive been invited for a health check now im 40 for a cholesterol check etc so prob go for it after christmas xx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

05-12-2013, 07:25 PM
I've been 'invited' for a health check, but won't be RSVP'ing
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2013, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
I've been 'invited' for a health check, but won't be RSVP'ing
I tried to attend for mine as the letter came just before I was going to be in the UK for 3 wks. But they couldn't give me an appointment until January and couldn't make the appointment that far in advance.

I went there to see her about the pain in my arm and just above my hip on the right side. She didn't even LOOK didn't get out of her chair just asked me if I had made the appointments for the lung function test, the bowel cancer test blah blah blah.

Saw my expression and then said 'do you see these tests as some form of 'punishment'?' I said NO but have YOU tried getting an appointment for one and that's NOT what I came here to see you about!

She then said 'oh I know what you are worrying about it's that you have rheumatoid arthritis'. I said NO coz I've had the blood test for that. She then told me that the lumps on my index finger were 'Heberdens Nodules' adding that that is only of interest to medical students. That they were due to osteo arthritis (which I already knew) and that all I could do for the other pains was keep taking NSAIDs as it was due to age.

Two visits to my Osteo here and PAIN ALL GONE. The terrible pain in my arm and above my hip was all due to a C5 vertebrae problem. Something that is well documented as responding well to PHYSIO.

To say I am disgusted is to put it very mildly. If she hadn't told me that I would have seen an experienced Osteo weeks earlier.

I will have to keep attending annually to remain on their books but, after my experiences (they are more worried about meeting their targets for these tests) and after the horrendous experience Martin had. I will stick with my PRIVATE medical care in Cyprus. And for a small fraction of what it would cost in the UK.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2