Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2013, 08:13 AM

Health predictions ?

Our GP surgery has a new computer programme they input your details and then let you know your chance of a stroke or heart attack in the next 10 years.

They don't ask if you want to know just go ahead and tell you.

So a routine blood pressure check turned rather nasty when I was there yesterday. Almost 100% chance of me having a heart attack in the next 10 years and 90% chance of a stroke.

If I lose the extra weight I carry figures come down to 80% for heart attack and stay 90% of a stroke !

Do I feel better for hearing that ? No
Can I do anything to avoid it happening ? No

My genetic make up is what makes my chances so high so why the hell tell me, now every time I get indigestion or something I will worry, sleepless night last night listening to my heart beat.

Yep that really has helped me have a happy healthy life
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2013, 08:17 AM
I would definitely not like that information.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2013, 08:22 AM
This is the same info you can get from a lot of website 'questionnaires' where you put in all the relevant info about your family history and your own health history record.

As for BP results - mine had always been normal until one visit to the doc a couple of years ago when it was high.

Turned out to be because I'd had a cigarette within 20mins of having it done. Nurse told me to go outside and return after waiting a bit longer - it was then registering normal!

Almost all my ancestors have died of lung cancer. Whether they ever smoked or not. This would of course lead to the strong possibility that I will too - whatever I do or don't do. Just like families with lots of heart condition problems in their history. Hereditary plays a big part.

However it does not mean you WILL definitely suffer any of the above - no more than it means I will definitely die from lung cancer.

As I sometimes say - you gotta die of SOMETHING!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Oh Julie, I would have been really upset to hear that. They say having a positive outlook can help with health - you ought to tell them they can add stress and depression to their list - caused by them!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-05-2013, 09:36 AM
I only see a doctor now if I am made to by them so as I can continue getting repeat prescriptions. Some of the things that have happened are unbelievable, and I doubt I would still be here if I had taken some of the stuff they want me to, when you look it up you find it shouldn't be taken along with the meds I am on........
er Hello, they are the 'experts' - allegedly!!!!
Interestingly not one person there has ever made any inroads into helping me with my hearing problems
I have no real idea why they call themselves doctors actually
I bet that computer programme just made your day didn't it Julie, why on earth would they want to burden you with that
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2013, 05:53 PM
So your doctor uses a computer program to effectively make stuff up and worry you and my doctor uses bloods tests to get a diagnosis and then not treat me for the disease I have because I'm apparently not quite ill enough. No wonder so many people avoid these places!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Reading this makes my morbid dread of docs and hospitals seem like a sensible and reasonable thing to have!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 08:44 PM
I would think that the stress of being told all that would be enough to double the chances of heart attack to be honest
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Gosh, that's crappy. Everyone on my dad's side has gotten diabetes, whether they were overweight or not. I'm overweight and take strongly after my father.

The chances that I get it are REALLY high, but I don't fret over it. I try and stay active as much as I can and I'm trying to limit my sugar but it's (really) hard.

Dad stroked out at 40 years old and is permanently crippled on his right side. He walks with a limp due to loss of feeling in his right foot and cannot steady his right hand to write, eat, or shoot with (had to retire from the force).

If that is my fate, then so be it... I think you should live life by the moment, and not try and predict your future. Take general care of yourself, do NOT worry, and live your life as a happy person, no matter what.
cassidy
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-06-2013, 08:06 PM
omg thats some think too look forward to
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >