Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2012, 03:23 PM

Endoscopy (update @ post 12)

I had a phone call from the hospital today, it seems I have my appointment for my endoscopy on Saturday morning. Good job they rang as my letter with the appointment and explaining the procedure had not turned up.
I have got to admit I am terrified. I am not sure whether to opt for sedation, the throat spray or both. I had sedation for my colonoscopy but it didn't work so I am scared it won;t work this time either.
Has anyone here had the procedure? Or is anyone a nurse? Whats the best thing to opt for?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2012, 03:56 PM
Hi Bev I had an endoscopy some years ago.
There were a lot of other people mostly men waiting to go in too and they had some form of sedation which I refused to have because I needed to drive myself home.

I had a numbing spray on the back of my throat instead and although I wouldn't want to have it done everyday it was not that bad

I think after childbirth every other procedure is a minor inconvenience
Azz
Administrator
Male 

13-12-2012, 05:16 PM
I would probably have the numbing spray too.

I think it is more uncomfortable than painful tbh. Did you see Dr M Mosley when he had a camera put down his nose to his stomach without any sedatives? It was live at the Science Museum: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00vrkv9

Hope it goes well whatever you decide.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2012, 05:34 PM
The first endoscopy I had was when I was in hospital and on an IV drip, so they just put the "sedation" straight in the cannula and did not wait for it to take effect. The only discomfort I felt was being placed in an uncomfortable [for me] position and held down by two nurses so that I did not move. All I felt, apart from a few seconds while the endoscope was inserted, were a few minor "nips" as biopsies were taken.

Needless to say the sedation started working about an hour after I was returned to the ward!

Since then I have never had any sedation or even the numbing throat spray as it literally only takes a second or two for the endoscope to be inserted and as long as you are relaxed you should not feel anything more than a slight tickle in your throat.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2012, 05:42 PM
No experience of it myself but hubby has had it done and he had the sedation. He was fine except that he talked rubbish for about 2 hours after
He says it was a dodddle, so if he says so, it was
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

13-12-2012, 05:47 PM
No experience of this Bev but want to send (((hugs))).
X
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2012, 05:51 PM
My friend had this done last week and had a numbing injection, also had a barium meal. She wasn't too bad after the endoscopy but the barium meal made her feel a bit rough. Her eventual diagnosis was diverticulitis.
My OH has an appointment for the same procedure early next month & is on tenterhooks.
Good luck with yours.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2012, 06:01 PM
I have had 2, each time I was sedated, did not feel a thing...
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2012, 06:15 PM
I had the throat spray no problem at all. Its the nerves pre procedure that makes it you feel worrisome.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2012, 07:35 PM
Good luck Bev, will be thinking of you tomorrow (((((hugs))))) Try and relax I'm sure it'll make things much better for you whichever route you take.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >