Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 08:06 PM

Guinea Pigs ~ Pros and Cons?

The kids are on at me to get a guinea pig. I'd rather not give in. What are the pros and cons of owning them?

I always wanted to have some guinea pigs, but with two dogs that seem to have high prey drive and other dogs coming and going here..... I don't think it's such a good idea right now.

I guess I'm looking to hear the negative side to owning them in order to put me off giving into temptation!!!
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 08:19 PM
they need to be in pairs, no real negatives. Great pets, make fab noises and not really smelly. Great personalities.

The negative side is that your dogs might find them too tempting!!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 08:21 PM
As has been said, you must get at least one same sex pair (no mixed sex pairs because they are at it non stop otherwise!) the only negatives are that they tend not to fight when they are ill and can drop dead of shock so even if they were safe in a cage they could get frightened if the dogs have a go at them through the cage.
Becky
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 08:22 PM
If you have two high prey drive dogs, then that is all the reason you need to say no, but if you need any more -
although they are generally healthy, they can get problems but by the time you realise there is a problem, its usually too late.

Guinea Pigs really shouldnt be kept on their own, unless they are going to get a LOT of company, and regular attention (what happens when the children are at school?).

I am not giving you any pros, cos you need to say no
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 09:33 PM
I was about to say the same as Becky, the only down side is the slightest shock kills them, or die before you even know they are ill.

I bred guinea pigs for years, at one stage had around 90 of them, lovely pets but I don't think I'll go there again.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Yes ex-guinea pig breeder here too and said I wouldn't have any more but I am so falling in love with the teddies that they are getting harder to resist!
Becky
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2007, 07:13 AM
Cleaning out can be a downside - will the kids do it (with help?), or will you end up doing it all and complain about it?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2007, 07:41 AM
I had heard they needed to be in pairs for company. If I ever do get guinea pigs, it would be two.

Thanks guys, Lovely as they are I've my mind set now that I'll not get them for now. I wouldn't want to terrify the poor things with the dogs, my two are lively and into everything as well as loving a good chase. Kids tell me they'd keep them in the bed room out of the dogs way; but that would mean less interaction for the guinea pigs....

No, wouldn't be fair on the wee things.

My sister on the other hand is considering getting a hamster for her kids.... I've been telling her that guinea pigs are much more sociable and like interaction (plus awake during the day!). I'll pass on your comments to her.

Thanks for your help. :smt001
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Cleaning out can be a downside - will the kids do it (with help?), or will you end up doing it all and complain about it?
Lol, as with any pet bought for kids; I believe the parent must be aware that they are ultimately responsible for the animals care and welfare and must be prepared to do all that entails should the kids loose interest/be too young to carry out the duties.
Something I had considered.:smt001
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Having a JR too- if there was a guinea pig in my house-even kept in a separate room- my JR would just sit at the door and whine for days.Not worth the stress on the guinea pigs or the dog And as others have mentioned kids get bored quickly with pets and then its up to the parents to muck out.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >