View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
So sorry it's really not nice. I lost 3 chickens at the beginning of the year.

Helen
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Cheeky toad only came back this evening didn't it, it had a very near miss from a very angry rough collie! I'm deliberating about discussing with the neighbours a trap & shoot job maybe, if it doesn't disappear off soon and keeps being such a problem I don't think it will bode well. Asking around I have got neighbours who've lost poultry, small furries, even seen their cats be attempted at being dragged off (by a pair of foxes though apparently), and so forth. I really hate the bloody things, such a pain!
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Sorry, a Rhea can disembowel a human! I've also heard the argument of keeping al pacas, which I assume the person does not have space for.

So, to keep in line with the fluffy brigade in the future, we need to have room or al paca's to raise chooks, and taming abilities to ensure a Rhea doesn't want to slit our stomachs open! Of course, anything that keeps anyone remotely fluffy happy!!
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Sorry, a Rhea can disembowel a human! I've also heard the argument of keeping al pacas, which I assume the person does not have space for.

So, to keep in line with the fluffy brigade in the future, we need to have room or al paca's to raise chooks, and taming abilities to ensure a Rhea doesn't want to slit our stomachs open! Of course, anything that keeps anyone remotely fluffy happy!!
Any animal you own can potentially do you damage, it's a chance you take when you decide to share your life with them.
What is wrong with trying to protect the ones you have and love??
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2012, 08:39 PM
Youngsters will be dispersing to new areas now, so wonder if it was a youngster just trying his luck and passing through.

I am sorry to hear about your rabbits, Luke.

I am a fox lover, but haven't ever lost any of my animals to them. Perhaps I may feel differently if I did, I don't know.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 10:02 AM
I love seeing foxes. I think they are beautiful animals. But I am not against managing them when they need to be managed.

I'm sorry you lost your doe Luke.

We've had a fox walk down our path, at first I thought it was the butcher (lives next door but one) ginger tom. But as it got closer to the house I noticed what it was. OH went out with the dogs but it had gone and 10 minutes later the butchers ginger cat walked down the path . However I haven't had any of the rabbits broken in. That said they are on ground over our cespit. Maybe there is some truth in human waste putting them off.

Forgot to mention that last week in the pouring rain a friend and I saw two foxes on the same walk, in the middle of the day as well. It was a worry because the first one appeared after the dogs went into cover. Luckily it went the other way shortly after entering the same cover as them and the dogs weren't following.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 10:26 AM
You know what, we have seen a few on our walks lately (quite close to our houses) but I have not seen many (wild) rabbits lately.

I am wondering if Myxy is doing the rounds again.

TBH I feel for anyone who has lots pets/livestock to foxes. But I happen to think they are an amazing animal. Beautiful, and cunning. Yes, maybe they do need to be managed. But is it their fault that people encourage them (feeding them, clearing out their homes for development etc)
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
They are a damn nuisance. Im sick to death of them in the towns.
I took this picture at just after 3pm in the afternoon outside my house a few weeks ago, with 4 Borders going ballistic! It NEVER budged an inch! Too brazen, too many!

Sorry to hear of your loss Luke.

what an utterly beautiful creature that is
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Very sorry Luke for the loss of your bunnies and when you've tried so hard to keep them safe as well.

It's probably not something you even want to think about right now, but if you were to get more bunnies, is electric fencing an option for you?

I know a few chicken keepers that have been hit in the middle of the day, usually they were free ranging at the time though, not secured in a coop
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 04:55 PM
so sorry luke! you know where i stand on the fox front anyway
Page 2 of 31 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »