View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=spot;2492402]Interesting debate! For those who debate WHY SHOULD I ....... on both sides.

As you say interesting debate.....however as a multi cat owner I have had both happen to me too.......the owners of Greyhound that came into my garden and ruptured my cats stomach hid away in their house and wouldn't open the door.
The owner of the SBT that broke down a fence and killed my rabbits in front of my sons (when they were young) and injured my Jack Russell that did her best to protect them....made excuses that it was not theirs but their son's dog forced upon them

However when my cat Polly, attacked our neighbours dog (after he got her cornered) I paid the vet bill

When my late cat Eddie caught a bird..... I took it to the vets

My cats maybe termed by law as a wild animal, they may not wear ID and collars, but they are all micro-chipped and every night without fail they are all in.

If I had neighbours that complained they poop'd in their garden they can ask me to pay for stuff to spray down....I will willingly oblige

Not all dog owners are saints IMO
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 05:43 PM
So many sweeping statements about cat owners on here.
"Cat owners don't take responsibility for their pets" etc etc

Why don't some of those people read some of the posts from cat owners.

I DO take responsibility for my cats!
They don't go out of my garden, they don't pee/poop in anyones garden/they don't go out and fight with other cats keeping you awake at night.(they aren't allowed out after dark) The are neutered so won't be making any other roaming cats pregnant.
They don't chase anyones pets.

On the other hand.........I've had to buy 3 layers of fencing to keep next doors dogs from coming into my garden after they broke through my fence and chased my rabbits 2 years ago (both sadly dead now). They frequently jump up at it, and break it down, they bark a lot of the day, stuck outside in their garden, they are all large breeds so do massive poo's, and the garden stinks on a sunny day....

The man who came into my shop to ask for DOG (but not cat, as he has a cat) deterrant because people walking them let them pee up his gate post, and it STINKS to high heaven, especially on a sunny day.....

Dog owners
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Interesting debate! For those who debate WHY SHOULD I ....... on both sides.

If cats are classed as wild animals why should I offer to pay vet bills if my dogs kills/injures a cat whether in their own garden or on the streets? Equally why or should a cat owner offer to pay for vet bills when a cat has damaged my dogs?

I have had both things happen to me - I offered and paid vet bills no-one offered to pay for my dogs that were injured by cats.

And why are phones such a pain to type into
Well for starters your dog shouldnt be loose on the streets should it? If its on a lead it couldnt catch a cat now could it?
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
So many sweeping statements about cat owners on here.
"Cat owners don't take responsibility for their pets" etc etc

Why don't some of those people read some of the posts from cat owners.

I DO take responsibility for my cats!
They don't go out of my garden, they don't pee/poop in anyones garden/they don't go out and fight with other cats keeping you awake at night.(they aren't allowed out after dark) The are neutered so won't be making any other roaming cats pregnant.
They don't chase anyones pets.

On the other hand.........I've had to buy 3 layers of fencing to keep next doors dogs from coming into my garden after they broke through my fence and chased my rabbits 2 years ago (both sadly dead now). They frequently jump up at it, and break it down, they bark a lot of the day, stuck outside in their garden, they are all large breeds so do massive poo's, and the garden stinks on a sunny day....
Dog owners

I think a bit of give and take in the world is never a bad thing
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post

I think a bit of give and take in the world is never a bad thing
Exactly!
TBH, I've just got on with it and bought the fencing, asked them to try and stop their dogs jumping up at it (they do try) - like I try to manage both my cats and dogs
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Firstly, you can't compare the two. Comparing a cat to a dog in any context is like comparing a pet hamster to a pet snake -- two entirely different animals with entirely different needs, that are not in any way related. Cats are pretty much wild in nature while the vast majority of dogs are anything but.

In grand scheme of things, dogs cause far more trouble to the average person than cats ever do. Perhaps not to you directly but to others. So I'm afraid I don't think anyone who moans about cats being a huge problem in comparison to dogs has a leg to stand on.

As for having to spend money to keep cats out of your garden, you could take that attitude with anything really. WHY ON EARTH should my friend have to keep spending money on his garden pond (for nets, alarms, new fish) because the herons & other birds come and eat his expensive koi? WHY ON EARTH should my grandmother keep spending money on anti-squirrel deterrents so she can continue to feed the wild birds? WHY ON EARTH should my uncle have to extend his garden fence to stop the neighbours dog trying to get over? why....because it happens in the real world! you can either spend a bit of money and get the desired results or ignore it, spend nothing and moan about it -- I know which I'd rather do.

What does the size of the crap have to do with anything? quite a lot actually. Ever stepped in a large-breed sized dump? or ran the wheels of your bike or buggy over one? that is always good fun to get off shoes and tires. How many cats do you see defecating on the streets and in parks? how many times on average do you step in cat poo? how many times have you had to dodge cat poo when walking to the local shops?

I am not a cat hater, but am stunned by the attitude of many on here There are cats that insist on coming into our garden (over a six foot wall - what else can we do?? ) and they drive Jimmi demented. The very last thing he needs when having a flare up of his paw problems is a manic chase around the garden, but nightly they come in. He even had a major fight with one a little while ago (he was injured, and the cat most certainly was too) but still they come in. As to the cat poo..........I am heartily sick of happily weeding, only to find myself picking up a lump of disgusting cat poo. Yes, I have stepped in the stuff too when trying to reach the back of the beds, but I suppose that I should be grateful that these piles of filth have been overlooked by Jimmi because like many dogs he loves to eat it, with unwelcome results (he has allergy issues).

I am sick of them to be honest, and just wonder what the owners of these cats would say if I let Jimmi wander around their gardens and poop wherever he wanted? Not to mention torment their cats around their own homes. Many people airily say "oh, they hate water.......just squirt them with water". How many of these evening visitors would sit and watch whilst you approached with your hosepipe or pistol; certainly not the ones that come into our garden. We purchased a high frequency deterrent gun, which is effective briefly............still they come back.

It is all very well saying that they are two different animals and we should all be tolerant..........why should we be tolerant? The law classes them as wild animals (and therefore if they are a pest, in theory you can deal with them severely, but of course in practice you wouldn't do that no matter how mad you felt), but they are not wild animals are they - they are someone's pet, and that someone blithely turfs them out in the evening and has no idea where they are going or what they are doing.

Some people with cat tolerant dogs may be happy to go around picking up the cat poo if they can find it, but if you have a true cat hater of a dog then evenings are not funny. Why should we have to be wary of letting our dog out into it's own secure garden??
spot
Dogsey Veteran

28-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Well for starters your dog shouldnt be loose on the streets should it? If its on a lead it couldnt catch a cat now could it?
You do make me laugh with your assumptions! Where did I say my dogs were loose? You should know enough about me to know my dogs are never loose! The dogs are always leashed when on the streets and ok at that time not muzzled - since that incident they are alway always muzzlled but you go ahead and judge hon - like you always do! And yes if you knew anything about greyhounds (and I hope to god you never do!) they can catch a cat if it runs out 2 inches from their nose!

Oh and just for your judgemental information I do have actually owned and do own a cat - so climb down hon.
obbie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-03-2012, 06:12 PM
One has a large dog run for hers, the others are house cats.
There are a few that roam, and that does annoy me.
Keeping an eye on them when you drive down the road in case the run out last minute, keeping a constant vigil in my back garden will my chicken’s free range, nets on my pond to stop them fishing.

How can they let them roam though?
I would be terrified of them getting hit by a car, poisoned by eating a mouse that had ingested bait, or plain attacked by yob/dogs.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
You do make me laugh with your assumptions! Where did I say my dogs were loose? You should know enough about me to know my dogs are never loose! The dogs are always leashed when on the streets and ok at that time not muzzled - since that incident they are alway always muzzlled but you go ahead and judge hon - like you always do! And yes if you knew anything about greyhounds (and I hope to god you never do!) they can catch a cat if it runs out 2 inches from their nose!

Oh and just for your judgemental information I do have actually owned and do own a cat - so climb down hon.
Sorry I thought "on the streets" would have to mean loose, because nobody with an atom of brain would allow an on lead dog to even try to get at a cat or anything else, would they? I mean how totally ridiculous!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
[/B]

I am not a cat hater, but am stunned by the attitude of many on here There are cats that insist on coming into our garden (over a six foot wall - what else can we do?? ) and they drive Jimmi demented. The very last thing he needs when having a flare up of his paw problems is a manic chase around the garden, but nightly they come in. He even had a major fight with one a little while ago (he was injured, and the cat most certainly was too) but still they come in. As to the cat poo..........I am heartily sick of happily weeding, only to find myself picking up a lump of disgusting cat poo. Yes, I have stepped in the stuff too when trying to reach the back of the beds, but I suppose that I should be grateful that these piles of filth have been overlooked by Jimmi because like many dogs he loves to eat it, with unwelcome results (he has allergy issues).

I am sick of them to be honest, and just wonder what the owners of these cats would say if I let Jimmi wander around their gardens and poop wherever he wanted? Not to mention torment their cats around their own homes. Many people airily say "oh, they hate water.......just squirt them with water". How many of these evening visitors would sit and watch whilst you approached with your hosepipe or pistol; certainly not the ones that come into our garden. We purchased a high frequency deterrent gun, which is effective briefly............still they come back.

It is all very well saying that they are two different animals and we should all be tolerant..........why should we be tolerant? The law classes them as wild animals (and therefore if they are a pest, in theory you can deal with them severely, but of course in practice you wouldn't do that no matter how mad you felt), but they are not wild animals are they - they are someone's pet, and that someone blithely turfs them out in the evening and has no idea where they are going or what they are doing.

Some people with cat tolerant dogs may be happy to go around picking up the cat poo if they can find it, but if you have a true cat hater of a dog then evenings are not funny. Why should we have to be wary of letting our dog out into it's own secure garden??
Ultimately if your dog has issues with cats that is your problem, not the cat owners. The cats technically speaking are doing nothing wrong by being in your garden. They have no concept of what is "yours" and there is no law that says they cannot roam.

Also, is a bit of cat sh*t really that bigger deal? how do you feel about birds/foxes/other wild animals defecating in your garden? I don't particularly like it when foxes take a dump in my garden and my dogs roll in it but that is life.
Page 7 of 23 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »