View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2011, 07:59 AM
I regularly come across myxi rabbits on a walk, im afraid to say I dont dispatch them, im too soft. None of my dogs will dispatch them either and usually the first i see of a myxi rabbit is when mav comes trotting alongside gently carrying the rabbit trying to entice the others into a game of chase with it I obviously immediately make him drop it.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2011, 06:44 PM
One of our Adult instructors is a Forestry bloke, he told me it's better to put them out of their misery straight away. Not sure I could do it tbh. I'd be crying the whole time.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
I regularly come across myxi rabbits on a walk, im afraid to say I dont dispatch them, im too soft. None of my dogs will dispatch them either and usually the first i see of a myxi rabbit is when mav comes trotting alongside gently carrying the rabbit trying to entice the others into a game of chase with it I obviously immediately make him drop it.
Originally Posted by lore View Post
One of our Adult instructors is a Forestry bloke, he told me it's better to put them out of their misery straight away. Not sure I could do it tbh. I'd be crying the whole time.
I saw another this morning at our walk at the country park. This one was a bit sluggish but still fairly active, I would have had no chance of catching him. At least there it is fairly well patrolled by the rangers and they do despatch them so they don't suffer for as long.

I think Max would probably be a bit like your Mav, Collie Covert and just walk around with it, not quite sure what to do next.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

15-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by majuka View Post
I think Max would probably be a bit like your Mav, Collie Covert and just walk around with it, not quite sure what to do next.
That made me smile, our Rianna likes to collect 'trophies' it can be almost anything, it could be a dead rabbit, an old fluffy toy, or even a stick from the forrest undergrowth.

You can tell she thinks she's won a prize 'cos her head is held high, tail wagging, and she deliberately runs up to us (Including Bara) and says "Look what I've got" and she's a joy to see, she's so happy
SmokeyRabbit
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Personally i couldnt kill any animal, especially a rabbit as i keep them as pets, luckily my dog doesnt chase rabbits he much prefers squirrels
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2011, 05:49 AM
It is something that we can do to help suffering, no different than when we take our dogs to be PTS, a last act of kindness.

I would never leave a wild animal to suffer a long and potentially painful death by other means.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I would never leave a wild animal to suffer a long and potentially painful death by other means.
Agreed - nature can sometimes be crueller than mankind. A myxi rabbit is in greatest danger of being attacked by crows or rats, who will try to eat the poor thing alive
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It is something that we can do to help suffering, no different than when we take our dogs to be PTS, a last act of kindness.

Agreed.

I've had to do this with my own birds, and wild animals. It's not plesant, but it's necessary....
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Also get a fair number of Myxis. Neither dog'll do anything with them and I get squeamish when I (accidently) stand on a snail. Wouldn't know how to go about dispatching a rabbit - though I ought to. There are a fair number of foxes over there and people with dogs that do go after rabbit and I've never seen them twice.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-09-2011, 03:10 PM
I always kill an infected rabbit-its a terrible disease and would be cruel to leave it to die slowly.If you cant handle dispatching by hand hit it over the head with something heavy like a rock or piece of wood.I then try to dispose of it in deep water like a ditch etc so any fleas drown.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >