View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 12:45 PM
So, working Terriers, hounds and gundogs will be excluded. Why call the section working when it seems it is not for working dogs but for some other type of category, may be it should be called assistants dogs. IE guide dogs and hearing dogs.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Hi eRazz, Note your remarks re hunting, to be honest I have no idea what would be included under such a title that is not included, this one excepted, under all the other sections, all dogs hunt, track and if allowed chase, so as this is a dog forum it has to include the subject of hunting. Does your introduction say "where each breed is treated fairly and equally. " except it seems terriers, hound and gundogs on this particular section.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

12-07-2005, 01:20 PM
I am trying to ascertain what actually would come under the umbrella, perhaps 'hunting' is the wrong word to use because hunting with dogs is now outlawed in the UK? Do you have any suggestions for other names?

Regarding the name of the this section - have you considered that maybe to most people the term 'working dogs' actually means dogs that have a 'normal' job? By normal I mean a job that invovles working with people (ie not one that involes anything that could be seen as 'hunting').

To move forward with this I need to know what you guys are going to be talking about in such a 'hunting' section. I know it will take some effort on your part and if I am honest the chances are slim for such a section to be approved, however if nothing else it is your chance to let other people know what actually goes on in your 'field' (and perhaps which may not be what is commonly percieved).
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 01:42 PM
As I said, pointless............
Dawn.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by eRaze

Regarding the name of the this section - have you considered that maybe to most people the term 'working dogs' actually means dogs that have a 'normal' job? By normal I mean a job that invovles working with people (ie not one that involes anything that could be seen as 'hunting').
That is what I was trying to say, that would exclude terriers, hounds and gundogs who do all work with people, if the section is meant for assistance dogs, and why not, the name seems erroneous. There are a number of sniffer and search and rescue dogs who also work the field, are they excluded? Just wish to understand the restriction of some breeds from this section of the forum.

Having just re-read your comments I think you mean that it excludes sporting dogs, is that right.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 01:49 PM
i think there should be a hunting a section! or no working section at all!
People like dawn, amts and thordell are respected members of this board and doubt they will abuse the rules!

I think to keep everyone happy you include a hunting section or you dont have a working section at all!

But guys azz is only doing his job which is to try and make everyone happy! (impossible)
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 01:54 PM
I thought we'd already gone through this? There will be a working section not to include the killing of other animals and a hunting section is being worked on already? Or have I missed something, or dreamt it again!
I don't mind a hunting section, but it doesn't particularly interest me.
I'm more of a Gundog type, as you know!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Yes it does seem the "artificial" work is ok, but not the stuff the dogs were designed for. We can jump, prance, attack people, lie down for 10 minutes, track a scent, but its all artificial.
Dawn.
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
Yes it does seem the "artificial" work is ok, but not the stuff the dogs were designed for. We can jump, prance, attack people, lie down for 10 minutes, track a scent, but its all artificial.
Dawn.
You explain that to a police or army dog handler with a drug, bomb or human detection dog - it might not be what dogs were designed to do, but it is considered real work.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

12-07-2005, 02:04 PM
dogs may have originally been bred for doing that work but times change - we can't live in the past and stick to the ways of previous generations we have to move on
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »