View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 11:56 AM
If the picture was of a child next to a dead dog/cat what would the reactions be I wonder?

BTW As I said before I totally blame the adults involved, the child is a pawn.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
At least it's more alive than them foxes are
You missing the point, the fox is dead yes, but it would have been taken out with a clean shot or instantaneous, it would not have suffered.

The fish you and your father so enjoyed catching suffered the trauma/pain of having a fish hook through its mouth, beign hauled from the water gasping for breath , having the hook pulled out of its mouth............all for the enjoyment of your dad throwing it back.

Which suffered the worse, the fox or the fish, death is not the worse thing that can happen.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
You missing the point, the fox is dead yes, but it would have been taken out with a clean shot or instantaneous, it would not have suffered.

The fish you and your father so enjoyed catching suffered the trauma/pain of having a fish hook through its mouth, beign hauled from the water gasping for breath , having the hook pulled out of its mouth............all for the enjoyment of your dad throwing it back.

Which suffered the worse, the fox or the fish, death is not the worse thing that can happen.
You missed the bit in the article:

it was trapped and killed in a garden
Trapped being the operative word before killed.
I always thought the entrapment of any animal caused suffering, I doubt the bloke shot it as soon as he had caught it in his trap

Fox hunting - is/was a sport - what purpose did it have other than to give a person a skin or joy of hunting it. How many people have humanely killed a fox whilst on the hunt - no one - it is/was ripped apart by the dogs or shot. And I very much doubt that this man had the humane way killing it like it says in the article, guns IMO aren't very humane.

Fishing has been and still is a way of life as well as a sport. Unless it is sea fishing or a way of life - the fish is put back.

Michael Charleston, honorary secretary of the South West Rivers Association, believes that fish sensitivity to pain is not uniform across their bodies. "If they're pricked near the mouth, they don't seem to feel pain but if they are pricked anywhere near the lateral line, they go wild," he says. "The mouth is designed to eat sharp things like crabs. It wouldn't help the fish if it were to be too sensitive."
Although it doesn't excuse the fact that fishermen pull the fish through the water - it shows that fishing isn't one of those sports where the animals suffers much, the fish is out of the water no longer than 10 minutes (with us anyway) the hook is took out gently and barb less and they aren't thrown back in they are put back in, there are worse sports and means of suffering such as fox hunting, trapping and killing...

The two are very different IMO.

But that is MY opinion you can agree or disagree - I don't really care..
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 12:48 PM
I fox hunted throughout my entire childhood with all my ponies . I was young, never thought much about the fox, just enjoyed the gallop and keeping my ponies fit. Maybe the ban has resulted in an inbalance

To me this article just highlights the advice never to feed foxes in your garden. They might be cute but they're vermin and shouldn't be encouraged to lurk around residential areas, they only kill cats or cause car accidents. I also don't think they should be hung up and then a child been told to stand next to it smiling, wierdo .
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-01-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
I took the kid being in the picture purely as a size comparison, nothing more.

I am really starting to get annoyed with idiots leaving food down for foxes in public places.
Yes,i too.The child was only in picture to give people something to compare it to.

And i also agree about feeding foxes.In my opinion,all it does it turn a hunter into a scavenger and teaches them not to be afraid of humans.

As for the ethics of killing foxes.They need their population controlling-end of.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
I fox hunted throughout my entire childhood with all my ponies . I was young, never thought much about the fox, just enjoyed the gallop and keeping my ponies fit. Maybe the ban has resulted in an inbalance

To me this article just highlights the advice never to feed foxes in your garden. They might be cute but they're vermin and shouldn't be encouraged to lurk around residential areas, they only kill cats or cause car accidents. I also don't think they should be hung up and then a child been told to stand next to it smiling, wierdo .
vermin!!! not to me..wildlife is not vermin!!

they only kill cats or cause car accidents??? i live in london..the amount of cats fighting with each other are a day in and out occurrence! and make a sorry mess of each other.. cats and other drivers cause many more car accidents than foxes!
but i do agree..a wild animal should not be encouraged to trust humans....it only leads to their demise anyway
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
The child is maybe a relative of the vet who disposed of the foxes or a relative of the reporter who covered the story
I am sorry but I dont care who the child is, who his parents are, how he ended up stood next to the fox - he is stood next to a dead animal for a picture, smiling. Its odd IMO.
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Oh, so its ok for your father to hook a fish through its mouth, yank it through the water for however long it takes, rip the hook from its mouth, then dump it back! How caring of him!
exactly why I dont agree with fishing.
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Lots of vets here pts wild animals FOC.

rune
To right - most vets pts wild animals - they cant charge for treatment and wont keep them taking up places that could be taken by paying patients. which I can kinda understand - although it can be annoying that they dont take the time to ring the local wildlife hospitals, so they can collect the injuried animal.
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
Yes, because you obviously have had a different upbringing to the way this little boy has been brought up.

It's like people who are brought up within farming families, and have no qualms when it comes to animals being sent off for slaughter. My landlord raises pigs and chickens, he gains an awful lot of enjoyment out of the piglets growing up, goes in with all the pigs to feed them and give them fresh bedding, but still eats his own pork chops and is very proud of the produce.

Apologies Rune, I didn't mean to single you out
I may have had a different up brining (nothing suggests that I have seen that he is involved with hunting or anything though). The college I go to we watch animals give birth, raise them and then load them up to be sent to market months later - doesnt mean I understand or find it 'normal' for anyone standing 'posing' next to a dead animal - everyone talks about respect for the animals - how are you showing the 'dead' animal respect hanging it off some hock and taking pictures
Originally Posted by rune View Post
If the picture was of a child next to a dead dog/cat what would the reactions be I wonder?
rune
Do you even need to ask that Rune? the reactions would be so different.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
At least it's more alive than them foxes are
Ahh got you, its ok to have your mouth ripped apart and be hung from it and fight for your life for extended periods of time, because eventually you will be put back, but to be trapped humanely without any pain at all, then shot point blank and be killed instantly is cruel. Not seeing the logic there, sorry.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
exactly why I dont agree with fishing.
Dont you eat any fish?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post