View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 11:12 AM

Fury as giant red stag that was Britain's biggest wild animal is gunned down.

Britain's biggest wild animal - a red stag nicknamed 'The Emperor' - has been shot dead.
The giant stag of southern Exmoor was killed close to a busy main road in the middle of the annual rut.
The shooting - believed to have been carried out by rich sportsmen after a trophy head - has enraged deer experts and wildlife fans who believe wild red stags should be protected during the mating season.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...shot-dead.html

If it was trophy hunters they need shooting, I really can't stand people that shoot for the hell of it, if they know where he was killed, chances are he was left, what a waste was that, a beutiful animal shot dead for no reason at all.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
If it was trophy hunters they need shooting, I really can't stand people that shoot for the hell of it, if they know where he was killed, chances are he was left, what a waste was that, a beutiful animal shot dead for no reason at all.
Licensed Deer shooters are not trophy hunters, you are reading all the rubbish again! That stag has probably done his bit over the years and if left to continue to mate, will saturate the population leading to inbreeding and deformities. Its called "management."
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 11:55 AM
The fact is some people do kill for pleasure. I have not read the article , I do not agree with blood thirsty acts, culling for environmental reasons maybe something else. I do not know the situation ref the Stag but it does sound a great shame from the headline.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Sorry for some reason I forgot to add the link will do now.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 11:57 AM
From the papers they didn't want him shot yet, I'm looking to see if there is anything online right now to say otherwise, not sure whether I would find something though.

Mr Donnelly admitted older stags do need to be culled because they find it hard to survive after a certain age - but said The Emperor was not at that stage yet.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 12:00 PM
From the papers they didn't want him shot yet, I'm looking to see if there is anything online right now to say otherwise, not sure whether I would find something though.
It wasnt their decision though was it? The shooting was perfectly legal in all respects.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
The fact is some people do kill for pleasure. I have not read the article , I do not agree with blood thirsty acts, culling for environmental reasons maybe something else. I do not know the situation ref the Stag but it does sound a great shame from the headline.
Wouldnt be anything "blood thirsty" about it, he will be eaten most likely, and culled in line with the management of the species.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I found this article, which states this,

It is not thought the deer was killed by poachers but by a licensed deer hunter.
but it also says this,

But the man was angry that sportsmen from other parts of the country and abroad were paying big money to come and shoot Exmoor's best stags as trophies.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wil...shot-dead.html

If he was killed for a reason thats one thing, but if he was killed by one of the people who want a 'trophy' that makes me sick, I hate all that trophy hunting.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 12:06 PM
I found this article, which states this,

but it also says this,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wil...shot-dead.html

If he was killed for a reason thats one thing, but if he was killed by one of the people who want a 'trophy' that makes me sick, I hate all that trophy hunting.
My sentiments exactly.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
My sentiments exactly.
It was culled because it needed to be, period. If they want to spend thousands getting that head mounted, let them, I wouldnt want to, couldnt think of anything more gruesome on the wall!! Still, the Deer will have been killed quickly and efficiently, thats good enough for me when its all above board. If it was poached, that would be VERY different!
Page 1 of 51 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »