View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 03:35 AM
Helena, you pic's are lovely, I am sure I promised to show you some piccies of the horses I owned, thankfully Moobli brought this thread up, it takes me back looking at all those horses.
I think horses are much more expensive over in the UK and harder to keep.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Helena - gorgeous lad you had there. I am loving all these ID/TB. Hopefully I may get competent enough to be able to handle a horse like that. I love the big 'uns!

More pics please
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Emma, I am also glad I started this thread It is just making me long to have my own now. I am going to be sensible though and wait at least 6-12 months.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 09:46 AM
I'm loving the pictures of all your horses. I've never had my own but would love one. Sadly I seem to have lost my nerve riding and havent ridden since last summer. I wish I could get back the the confidence I used to have. I was fearless, used to ride ex racers that only knew stop and gallop! I really must kick myself up the jacksie and do it again.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Is there any reason why you lost your nerve TtT? I hope you get back to it again soon. Why not go back to basics and start on safe riding school horses?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Luz View Post
So glad you added yours Helena, we used to talk horses loads before this rural section was added.
Dont you just wish the back would allow us to do more?
Yes we did Luz, anyone who's horsey certainly knows how to chat don't they though!!!! My friend's daughter has recently bought a nice TB and she's asked me to ride, but I know that if I did, I would get that blooming urge again to buy another one and I feel I've done my bit for the horse world, all 30 years of it, I don't want to go there again, it's too darn hard work as you well know

Hi Emma, yes, harder to keep because of the lack of stable yards and land over here I suppose. You couldn't buy anything decent here for under £3K, by decent, I mean something with a bit of ability and TB, I've never been one for an old plod, I like a bit of excitement to my ride!!!

Yes, what made you loose your nerve TtT?? I had sooooo many falls, soooo many trips to casualty (my horse loved to put in a dirty stop on a cross country and let me do the jump first!!!), but it never phased me, even when I could have lost a leg once with a heamotoma, I still got back on. I used to go out for 5 hours some days, just on my own, a nice collected canter everytime I hit grass, oh I was in heaven, it's a different world when you're sat up there in the middle of nowhere with only the horse to talk to!
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Loving this thread but my god how i miss my horses! We had 3 my first pony bonny who was a welsh mountin, my dads horse Monty who i rode when i was old enough who was an ex racer TB called 'Crofts Rise' and an ID x TB called kerrus who was my mums horse first but i also took over her when i was old enough as my mum has back problems.

Monty had to be PTS due to cancer when i was 18 (we got him when i was 2 so it was like losing family) and the other two where put out on perm loan when i was 19/20 as my parents had to sell the small holding we owned. Will add some piccys later of them all.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Some lovely pics everyone.

I am just about to give my horse back...i have had him on long term loan for a long time, but I am just finding i do not have enough time and it is becoming more of a chore than a pleasure...especially now i have a fourth dog!
I also do not have the transport or money to compete anymore...which i always did before having kids so its not quite the same.

I will probably have a ride now and then, but i will have to pay for a lesson with a great trainer or its a waste of time!
My "family" pony is still out on loan....I do not want her back yet bless her she is fine where she is!!
I may save a bit of money now!!

I dont have any "digital" pics of my old horses which is a shame.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by honeysmummy View Post
Some lovely pics everyone.

I am just about to give my horse back...i have had him on long term loan for a long time, but I am just finding i do not have enough time and it is becoming more of a chore than a pleasure...especially now i have a fourth dog!
I also do not have the transport or money to compete anymore...which i always did before having kids so its not quite the same.

I will probably have a ride now and then, but i will have to pay for a lesson with a great trainer or its a waste of time!
My "family" pony is still out on loan....I do not want her back yet bless her she is fine where she is!!
I may save a bit of money now!!

I dont have any "digital" pics of my old horses which is a shame.
Oh that's a shame, can't you scan them on the printer like I did?

I know what you mean, they do take up heaps of time, especially in the winter, coz by the time you've finished mucking out in the mornings, chatting with the rest of the yard, riding out, getting them back and groomed, get back home, quick bite to eat and it's time to go back up and get them in again isn't it!! I never even had time for actual dog walking, the dogs always had to fit in with the horse, that's the only life they knew, up at the stables, sitting in that smelly horse wee, then sitting on lovely clean shavings which stuck to their fluffy pants the top half of them being covered in hay! Cassie always used to find the smelliest, wettest empty stable to lie down in where the bed was left up, bless her soul. She did enjoy coming out with me on a ride, coz I was lucky having no roadwork at most yards around here.

I remember a friend of mine I used to ride out with most of the time, we called ourselves The Canter Kids coz we hardly ever walked or trotted anywhere, and she had this lurcher, and when we reached a big stretch where we'd normally gallop, this lurcher would take off ahead, keep turning around, until we got almost on his heels, and then he'd zoooooom off out of the way (thank God!!!), but it was sooooo funny!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Having listened to you talking about keeping your horses at yards, it has made me realise, even more, than unless I could keep one at home, then I probably just wouldn't have enough time to dedicate to a horse, without the dogs or kids losing out!
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >