Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Dont worry, he's Irish owned, trained and ridden!!
Phew, for a second there I thought I was gonna have to start with the whole "Cor blimey guv'nor, better get up them apples and pears to answer the dog and bone".

Or words to that effect!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 10:38 PM
It is the only race I bet on so will be again this year.

I wouldn't agree to a jockey flogging their horse to the finish
line, but I would like to ask:-

To the people who say they don't agree with horse racing.....I would like them to answer this question:-

If it is 'cruel' or 'inhumane' - how come riderless horses go around the full course after unseating their jockies?

Why, because it is in their blood to race!!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post

To the people who say they don't agree with horse racing.....I would like them to answer this question:-

If it is 'cruel' or 'inhumane' - how come riderless horses go around the full course after unseating their jockies?

TBH I would say it's more to do with natural herding instinct, but that's just my opinion, no evidence behind it.
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 10:55 PM

I wouldn't say that I don't agree with horse racing, but as I'm a bit negative (due to horses dying every time I watch it), this is my opinion. Horses love to run, but they can't evaluate risk too well (in my experience). When a horse died last time I watched racing, it was because a jockey had let the other horse get too close and they'd bashed their legs together (there's probably a more technical term, but I don't know it!). Often they fall after jumps, and obviously these are meant to be challenging, but I personally wouldn't put a horse through such a risk of dying for financial gain.

It's the same with dogs - Nippy (who's 11) would work flat out all day, jumping walls, ditches and fences, it doesn't mean it's good for him. My neighbours dog (JRT) has it in her blood to chase, manifesting in a fascination for chasing cars - it doesn't mean it's good for her to do that.

So anyway, in my opinion (and I'm not a total anti), horses love to race, and should be allowed to, just their love for racing shouldn't mean they're put at too much risk of dying in the process - does that sound reasonable?

(And I agree with Rips - if they have a herd instinct, and the herd is on the move, they're bound to want to follow, or lead as sometimes happens!)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-04-2009, 08:16 AM

Why, because it is in their blood to race!!:roll:

The riderless horses will carry on racing as they are pack animals, ans will follow the pack, you will see this in the fields when they are grazing.. one moves the rest follow.

Regards them falling and tragically dying in a race, the fact is , horses are delicate animals... their legs are fragile things... and as awfull as it is, when we see one lose its life on a racecourse,,, they can do exactly the same running round a field, or any horse related activity.

People /owners don't enter their horses in competition with the thought , it might break a leg..if such things happen, they owners will be as devastated as any animal owner when they loose their animals.

The fact of the matter is, that they do enjoy what they do... you cannot force a horse to do anything it does not want to do... nor can you beat it into submission... anyone who has sat on a stubborn horse , will tell you this.

Re- whipping, it is against the rules , in all aspects of horse competition to over use the whip... a tap on the backside to back up a aid, is OK, but whipping a horse into exhaustion is not excepted these days... and although it may look like the jokey is over using a whip in a race.......look carefully , he is wafting the whip around, but little contact is made... if it is, he will be penalized or disqualified.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 10:44 AM
i'VE PUT ON
Fundamentalist
Silver Birch
Big Fella Thanks
Darkness
I don't usually bother, but my old nieghbour came in this morning and took my bet up to the shop for me, gotta humour her lol
Oh and I'm going to the Ayr races this year too, neva been before but hear its a really good day out...
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
The riderless horses will carry on racing as they are pack animals, ans will follow the pack, you will see this in the fields when they are grazing.. one moves the rest follow.

Regards them falling and tragically dying in a race, the fact is , horses are delicate animals... their legs are fragile things... and as awfull as it is, when we see one lose its life on a racecourse,,, they can do exactly the same running round a field, or any horse related activity.

People /owners don't enter their horses in competition with the thought , it might break a leg..if such things happen, they owners will be as devastated as any animal owner when they loose their animals.The fact of the matter is, that they do enjoy what they do... you cannot force a horse to do anything it does not want to do... nor can you beat it into submission... anyone who has sat on a stubborn horse , will tell you this.

Re- whipping, it is against the rules , in all aspects of horse competition to over use the whip... a tap on the backside to back up a aid, is OK, but whipping a horse into exhaustion is not excepted these days... and although it may look like the jokey is over using a whip in a race.......look carefully , he is wafting the whip around, but little contact is made... if it is, he will be penalized or disqualified.
Totally, we had a couple in the shop not long ago, one of their collies was doing fly ball ran head first into another dog going for the same ball and died...they poor folk had to drive all the way home with their dead dog in the car, so sad
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm not really a gambler lol, many years ago I would put 20P each way lol, but after seeing some horses fall over it really put me off so now I dont do it, it just dosnt sit right with me I'm afraid.

mo
mandydog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post

People /owners don't enter their horses in competition with the thought , it might break a leg..if such things happen, they owners will be as devastated as any animal owner when they loose their animals.

The fact of the matter is, that they do enjoy what they do... you cannot force a horse to do anything it does not want to do... nor can you beat it into submission... anyone who has sat on a stubborn horse , will tell you this.

Thank you for a good, sensible post, Jackbox.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Well I've got a bet on Big Fella Thanks and Comply or Die..... each way.
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »