Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 06:15 PM

Cat weeing problems.

I have put this up on Catsey, but thought i would ask here too as there are more people on here than catsey i think.

Hope someone will be able to offer some advice. I put a thread up about 6 months ago about Meka weeing in the bedroom.....this was resolved by putting litter trays in there.

Since then we have discovered that she has early stage kidney disease and is on renal diet now. She was doing well, but seems to be loosing weight now so is going back to the vets this week.

However, she has started weeing in the bedroom again, sometimes right next to a clean litter tray. She has two big litter trays in there and happily uses them, but then sometimes wees on the carpet instead. The other night i found her having a poo on the carpet, she didn't seem bothered, so i slipped the litter tray underneath her.......and she carried on.

She is coming up 13, and is the first cat i have had. Could this behaviour be a combination of the kidney troubles and signs of her going senile?

Any ideas how to stop it?! I've thought about putting a long dirt trapper mat under the litter trays so then at least i can wash the mat in the washing machine if she has an accident. Trying to get the smell out of the carpet is driving me mad! I really want to be able to resolve this before our baby arrives in June.

Here's the little beauty.

youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Well I can not speak for all cats, but I had Stella who passed away 2 years ago through kidney failiure. Stella was approx 16 and we went through this with her, the vet did tell us that she could be going senile, and that the toxics in her blood stream didn't help either, which has a tendency to make them forget what they are doing.

We used to clean everything with stuff that took away the scent, but she'd suddenly do it elsewhere and like your little baby, sometimes she'd go to the tray and do it along side.

Hope you have alot time with her, and by the way she is beautiful xxxxxx
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Thank you. Glad mine isn't the only cat. It's odd because you try to look for some pattern in the behaviour to try and solve the problem, but there doesn't seem to be much of a pattern......sometimes she uses it and sometimes she doesn't!

She seems to be behaving differently in general but it is hard to know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. She is far more keen to come out of the bedroom and walk about looking for attention now, something she has been far less keen to do since Tonks arrived a year ago! It's great she is happier to come out of the bedroom, and part of me hopes tht it is just because she has got used to Tonks and Tonks doesn't rush up to her anymore, but another part of me wonders if she is asking for something or is going senile.

Who knows!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Just out of interest, has she had a T4 done...thyroid.

Sometimes when they have this problem they become more attention seeking and fussy, plus eat more and yet go thin. Stella had Tyroid problems too, which really added to her problems.

But we loved her dearly and thankfully when she died, she died peacefully, lying between the dogs
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Just looked up signs of senile dementia in cats.

1.Loud or odd vocalizations - she is ore vocal and was making very odd noises in the night last week!

2. Loss of litter box training - check!!

3. Lack of attention to grooming - she's never really bothered grooming herself!

4. Increased agitation, especially at night - i don't think she is doing this too much. She does nothing all day, but is awake dawn and dusk....which is normal i think.

5. Sleeping more than usual - yes - she really doesn't move all day.

6. Irritable or cranky - not really, but is definately far less tollerant of being groomed.

7. Decreased appetite - definately.

Think i will mention all this to the vet.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Update!

Took Meka to the vets today and she has lost over ten % of her body weight in 6 weeks.

The vet also thinks that all the odd vocalisations and other behaviour is about her not feeling well generally.

He wants me to feed her whatever she wants to eat for two weeks and then take her back to be weighed. If she has put on weight then we will discuss action, if she hasn't then he will do another bout of blood test.

If those come back clear he wants to sort out her teeth. (she has gingevitis but i feel really guilty that i do not have the £200 - £300 it is going to take to get it done. She is insured, but it is having the money to pay them in the first place that is the problem at the moment)

I took her home and gave her a pouch of wet cat food and then some haddock poached in milk, which she gobbled down.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 04:23 PM
So sorry to hear about Meka, she is beautiful, i dont have any advice to offer as all my cats are fairly young, I just wanted to wish you and Meka the best and i hope the vet can do something for her.

I know how you feel about the money side of things too, Amy is due to be spayed in May and i'm already having to save up to pay for it, could you not have a word with your vet, maybe he would let you pay it in instalments until the claim goes through?

{{{HUGS}}} to you both, please do keep us posted.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 04:39 PM
Hugs to you both...........best wishes and lots of love xxxx
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Just out of interest, has she had a T4 done...thyroid.

Sometimes when they have this problem they become more attention seeking and fussy, plus eat more and yet go thin. Stella had Tyroid problems too, which really added to her problems.

But we loved her dearly and thankfully when she died, she died peacefully, lying between the dogs
I'm not sure if she has had this done yet, she did have a batch of tests designed for older cats but the vet said the next lot of tests would be wider looking at all sorts of things including panceatis.

Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
So sorry to hear about Meka, she is beautiful, i dont have any advice to offer as all my cats are fairly young, I just wanted to wish you and Meka the best and i hope the vet can do something for her.

I know how you feel about the money side of things too, Amy is due to be spayed in May and i'm already having to save up to pay for it, could you not have a word with your vet, maybe he would let you pay it in instalments until the claim goes through?

{{{HUGS}}} to you both, please do keep us posted.
Thank you. The vet did say that he would like do direct claim from insurance company to the vets if he could but the practice manager won't let him. ....... and won't make an exception, even though he has asked. Luckily Paul has had three days work this week, has three or four days the week after that and maybe another four days the week after that so the money side of things is looking up! Thank you for your kind wishes!

Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Hugs to you both...........best wishes and lots of love xxxx

Thank you - i will pass hugs on to her.

She didn't want the poached haddock but has gobbled down over two pouches of chicken chunks in jelly, which is more than i have seen her eating in ages. I can hear her eating again now.....which is hopeful!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Another update! Meka has put on lots of weight since she has been eating what ever she likes. The vet is happy with that and doesn't want to do anymore blood tests - phew!