Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
munchkin56
New Member!
Female 

26-03-2009, 10:39 PM

my dog eats his own poo ..

my dog eats his own poo.. please help he is a gsd+collie 7yrs old castrated dog.. he is also looking for food all the time. he is regularly wormed. and has mixer biscuits & tinned meat.. should i take him to the vet. any advice would be gratefully recieved
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 10:57 PM
It is totally natural (unfortunately) for dogs to eat their own and other faeces. The more you react to it, the more they`ll do it. I suggest you just clear up after him immediately.
What are you feeding? He might be better on a higher quality food perhaps, and chews etc. might help to distract him.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 11:06 PM
None of mine have ever done this except Phoebe, Krystals pup who's coming up four months. I wondered if maybe she was following what she saw her Mum do when she was a tiny pup??? She gets a very good diet so I don't think it is that. Like C & D says, some dogs just do it (I only know that as I have heard of several on this forum - I think I heard someone say that they do it if their parents do it). Makes me feel thoroughly sick. Also, like C & D says, the only way to avoid it is to pick poo up immediately they do it. Every time I put her out, I'm ready with my tissue at hand
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2009, 11:12 PM
The only time I've caught any of my girls eating their own is when they are on Burns.....and that's a high quality food, so maybe it tastes so good the first time, they eat it again....lol.
munchkin56
New Member!
Female 

26-03-2009, 11:48 PM
lol he crys to go out and seems to hunt out the bits i've missed. i also have a lab+collie so am not sure if its his or her's either way it turns my stomach, i have waited out there with him ready to pick it up, but then he wont go, he looks at me as if to say " i dont watch you do i" as soon as i go in he will circle for about 12 times [if i'm lucky] do his biz and promptly "have a treat" i am going to change his diet to see if that helps, thank you for your replies, will keep you posted... lol
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Try the age old put pineapple in their food I personally have had quite a few successes with it.
munchkin56
New Member!
Female 

27-03-2009, 12:36 AM
really.. fresh or tinned & i am not being sarcastic here honestly i will try anything, how much would you suggest i give him, he weighs approx 23kilos ... i will try any, any suggestions ....
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2009, 12:43 AM
I always use tinned dont think there any strict measurement it makes there poo bitter and they hate taste.
Johnno
Dogsey Junior
Male 

27-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Hi, my AB used to do it when he was young, years ago. Am pretty sure we got something from the vet, tablets i think, that makes it taste or smell worse-to the dog that is- ~(if thats possible LOL!).
munchkin56
New Member!
Female 

27-03-2009, 09:10 AM
am goin to try the pineapple, teddy [the poo eating dog ] also has a adversion to the vets, he was a rescue dog who was locked in a garage for three yrs before we got him, he is so gentle, but this poo thing is getting bad... when he comes in from the garden he is still chewing, so everyone in the house then starts to gag.. it sounds funny but honestly, i have to find i solution..
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »