20-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Stompywop, well done for perserving with Zane, you are reaping the rewards now
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Stompywop, well done for perserving with Zane, you are reaping the rewards now
Many thanks - but I wouldn't say I'm reaping many rewards just yet. Mostly what he's done at training is very repetitive (isn't all training) and he's done most of it before. So for things like basic retrieve or recall, it's second nature to him.

Having said that, I was surprised at just how much I had forgotten since I didn't keep up with the pet obedience.

The obedience class Zane is in right now is running for 10 weeks with a view to continuing onto the BH (as I understand it anyway) and at the moment he is one of the top dogs in the class, along with a loopy chocolate lab and an absolutely gorgeous brindle & white Staffie cross.

So long as I keep up the hard work, I don't think he'll go far wrong but in terms of the amount and level of training I'd like to eventually help him achieve, I haven't even started yet!
Blitzen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Yes, but if you have found his drive, you are more than half way there! lol
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 03:20 PM
I hope so. TBH I'm getting really bored with it now. We've done nothing in about 5 weeks of the course running that he hasn't done before. So I'm wondering whether he really needed to do this at all as he already knows this stuff.

Anyway, this morning he played up. He worked a little bit for the treats and then went wild for his toy. He loved it and played when told to do so but then once we all stopped so that the trainer could explain the next bit to us, he wouldn't get started again.

He wouldn't eat his breakfast or dinner yesterday and as a rule I don't feed him in the morning if I take him to training. So he should have been far more enthusiastic about the treats on offer this morning.

Now as far as I'm concerned, until today Zane has mostly been good at what I'm telling him to do. He knows these commands I'm using and does respond, whether or not there is a reward on offer.
So I think he's just had a bad day and wasn't really interested in training this morning. Just like we all have bad days where we really don't want to be doing our work, study etc or whatever it is we do.
I knwo that's no excuse though. At the end of the day he needs to be able to respond as and when I tell him to do somethign otherwise I don't have that overall high level of control needed to progress.

Because of his behaviour I have been told that Zane is now not suitable for Sch training (bitework) and it's doubtful that he can do the obedience. I find this a bit strange when on the whole he does much better in training than many of the other dogs in the class.

It's not that much of a problem though - I can take Yiannis and can still work on Zane at home, in the local park, whenever we're out and about etc. Then as Yiannis progresses I can spend more time focussing on Zane again. Training is an ongoing concern in my household so nobody has or will lose out.

I have been told also that it is because he is a SL GSD. Yiannis is too but he's far more likely to play, speak, bite, obey on command whether for a toy or food reward (or just a pat on the head, he doesn't seem to care).

Unfortunately, as I said before, Jenzi is my only WL GSD and she'd be fantastic at it if she had decent hips. She can do the BH and has the temperament to go on but her physical limitations prevent her from doing even a basic retrieve over an A-frame. Frustrating as she needs so much more to stimulate her than the boys do.
Blitzen
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2011, 05:48 PM
I sympathise with you over Jenzi's physical issue - I find it very hard when an injury or whatever means a dog's body can't keep up with its drives and need to work.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Thanx but its not so bad. I can wear her out with mentally stimulating games rather than just physical stuff.
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2011, 03:26 PM
Blood..... Boiling......
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Boiling blood? How will that help for training?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Shrap View Post
Blood..... Boiling......
What's up???
Shrap
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
What's up???
Just the blatant biased crap coming out the working line people's mouths.

Okay, how about this.

NO WORKING LINE GSD IS EVER ELBOW SCORED.
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »