Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 12:03 AM

Season or lack of...

Ok, I'm probably over reacting here and in a panic, but I've just read that most bitches have their first season 6-8 months old ( I thought it could be anything upto 12 months). Kim is approaching 9 months and still hasn't started. I know I tend to be a worrier when it comes to dogs, but should I take her to the vets or is it normal for some to be later than 8 months?
Whiz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-08-2004, 12:21 AM
My American Bulldog had her first season at 9 months of age, it varies from breed to breed, i would not be overly concerned yet.

Some breeds like the Greyhound ( and Lurchers i think ) only have seasons once a year.
Hope this helps.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 12:30 AM
Phew... Thanks WhizGirl (welcome to DW and sorry I missed your into - you have some really beautiful dogs)

I was beginning to panic for a minute. Kim is days away from turning 9 months and her teats have started to grow larger, so I'm sure she won't be far off now, but like I said I do worry. I was just as bad with my kids

(normally I'd be asking Linda who's my mentor on such things, but it is rather early in the morning to be phoning her and I was in a flap)
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 05:57 AM
Luna, my chocolate lab, was 1 year and 2 days old, when she had her first season.

I was as worried as you But as everybody said to me, relax it'll come when it comes (Easier said than done, I know!)

Jeanette
Ozzy_AmericanBulldog
Dogsey Junior

17-08-2004, 10:32 AM

Hiya,

as Whizgirl said it does vary, all bitches are different. Taya was 11 months before she came in season, Sasha is neary 12 months and she hasent come in season yet. If she got to 2 and hadn't had a season they i would take her to the vets to get her checked over. But at the minute there is nothing to panic about mate

Ozzy xxx
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 01:56 PM
Thanks Jeanette & Ozzy. I've stopped panicking now
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Don't worry Amanda, it differs from dog to dog. Storm was 13 months old when she had her first season.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by Wolfie
Don't worry Amanda, it differs from dog to dog. Storm was 13 months old when she had her first season.
Cheers Wolfie
The longer it is, the better as far as I'm concerned. If nothing has happened by 15 months (which I doubt judging by whats been said here) then I'll go to the vets.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Hi Amanda, as the others have said each dog is different. I think if my dog got to 18 months without a season I would have the vet check it out, very occasionally it can be due to thyroid problems. Some years ago scientists in America did some research into the effect the length of the day had on a bitches reproductive cycle. They concluded the lengthening of the days and the increase in daylight could bring a bitch into season..maybe something to do with better natural breeding conditions in the spring. So I suppose it follows that with some bitches, if too young for a season in their first spring may go through to the second spring without having had one making the first season late Interesting theory would make a good thesis topic for a vet. student?
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Thanks Mini, That's really interesting and if it's right, then she won't have hers until next March and she will be 15 months old by then. Even better
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >