Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 09:20 PM

Rewarding only the fastest Recalls....?

As some of you know, Dex and I have been working hard on our recall. Big thanks again to all of you who have given advice - especially SMOKEY BEAR whose advice has made a HUGE difference!

There's been a real improvement in the past week. I have actually managed to recall Dex away from another dog who was entering the field we were in!

I've also managed to recall him out of the woods at the edge of the park - three times!

In addition I've recalled him away from people he was heading over to and also managed to recall him away from following other dogs!

So my query now is:

At what stage should I only be rewarding the fastest recalls....?

Any guidance very welcome, thank you
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
As some of you know, Dex and I have been working hard on our recall. Big thanks again to all of you who have given advice - especially SMOKEY BEAR whose advice has made a HUGE difference!

There's been a real improvement in the past week. I have actually managed to recall Dex away from another dog who was entering the field we were in!

I've also managed to recall him out of the woods at the edge of the park - three times!

In addition I've recalled him away from people he was heading over to and also managed to recall him away from following other dogs!

So my query now is:

I wouldn't recall just the fastest until he was coming to you at the same pace all the time everytime. Only rewarding the fastest and not rewarding the others may stop him coming back.

Then again I don't know what advice SB gave you but since he has taken a while to recall to you, I'd be rewarding everyone no matter how long it took until you get a pattern of recall that is fast everytime.. does that make sense?

As I said I don't know what advice you have been given but well done for the recall
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post

So my query now is:

NOT YET>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Are you varying the quality of the reinforcers to reflect the difficulty of the recalls?

Eg garlic sausage, cheese, chicken wing (if you fed raw) cooked bacon, liver, heart etc?

Remember, make haste slowly.......................

And before I forget

K'Ehleyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Good question Tabitha. I have been rewarding my dog EVERY time and she recalls great. Im too scared to remove the treats though incase we go backwards as she is very much food motivated. I dont wanna take chicken on walks forever though Will look forward to the answers on this
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post
Good question Tabitha. I have been rewarding my dog EVERY time and she recalls great. Im too scared to remove the treats though incase we go backwards as she is very much food motivated. I dont wanna take chicken on walks forever though Will look forward to the answers on this
I always take treats out with me - in case I need them. The way I did it was to recall and treat a few times, then remove the treat and just use fuss and verbal commands, then bring back the treats and so on and so forth in a irregular pattern - make it so she doesn't know if she's getting a treat or not. It worked for mine but it might not work for you - best ask the experts.

Louie will now come back and sometimes he takes a treat - other times even when it is there he won't take it.

It is important to teach that recall doesn't always mean leash is going on and fun is ending though - this causes them to refuse to come back..
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I wouldn't recall just the fastest until he was coming to you at the same pace all the time everytime. Only rewarding the fastest and not rewarding the others may stop him coming back.

Then again I don't know what advice SB gave you but since he has taken a while to recall to you, I'd be rewarding everyone no matter how long it took until you get a pattern of recall that is fast everytime.. does that make sense?

As I said I don't know what advice you have been given but well done for the recall

Yes that makes perfect sense, many thanks
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
NOT YET>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Are you varying the quality of the reinforcers to reflect the difficulty of the recalls?

Eg garlic sausage, cheese, chicken wing (if you fed raw) cooked bacon, liver, heart etc?

Remember, make haste slowly.......................

And before I forget

LOL - thank you SMOKEY BEAR

And no, I think maybe I have not varied the quality of the reinforcers enough?

I shall start doing that tomorrow morning!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by K'Ehleyr View Post

Thanks Sounds like you are doing great and have achieved a fab recall

I know what you mean about the chicken - I've been using cheese as Dex loves this but now following on from what SMOKEY BEAR says, I'm going to switch to sausage from tomorrow
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 10:05 PM
why not jackpot really great recals?

also something i do sometimes if the recal isnt as fast as it could have been I send them away straight away and then recal them immediatly, they are confused and come zooming back - to a big reward
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2011, 10:29 PM
I haven't been able to much recall training with Cain, but I did a lot with Moon. I may be wrong but I don't think SB means you need to switch to a new treat (eg cheese to sausage) but you need to take a few different treats with you at the same time. Our dog trainer always advises to have at least two different treats on you so that if the dog gets bored of the first one, you can pull out something better. I tend to take a mixed treat bag eg liver cake, hot dog and cheese, so the dog never knows what they'll get as a reward, it keeps them interested. With Moon I'd give chicken for an easy/normal recall but I also have pepperoni (very high value!) for super brilliant recalls eg instant fast return, or called away from chasing birds etc. I also used to use jackpot recalls from time to time eg 10 pieces of pepperoni, for something utterly amazing (like recalling from a squirrel). Always worked well for us.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >