Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
1tex
New Member!
Male 

11-01-2011, 07:09 PM

Dog trainer...what question to ask

i have a six month old rottweiler and i want him to got obedience training, what are some of the questions that i should ask a dog trainer?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 07:12 PM
..i would watch not ask
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
..i would watch not ask
I agree. Go and watch a class and see if you`re happy with it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2011, 10:53 AM
ALWAYS go to observe several classes/schools to watch how the trainer handles dogs and people to determine whether or not you believe their methods will suit your outlook and your dog.

Tip! The sophisticion of their website is not necessarily an indicator of the trainer's/club's ability.............
sherpweiler
New Member!
Female 

22-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Hi. I must agree with the last two posts. A good trainer will always let you watch a class or two. This way you can see for yourself if you agree with their methods and their attitude. Many trainers teach you what "they" want instead of teaching you what "you" need. You and your dog should alway be made to feel individual.
Opt for a trainer who has small classes and not ones with 10 -15 dogs in them.
A good trainer will always listen to your concerns and try to answer you questions. They won't all know all the answers and I don't siuppose they ever will.
It's worth looking for a trainer who is fully insured too.Most are.
Qualifications are not always what they are cracked up to be although they do show that the person has bothered to do research, attend courses and in many cases study hard for them.
Lastly if you have any doubt in your mind about any trainer or the methods they use just walk away.

Hope this helps
WarFlyball
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2011, 09:46 PM
I went to watch a potential obedience class for my pup as it was just round the corner from me, was really not impressed didn't see any praise or positive interaction with the dogs. Then at my other dogs first agility show a dog ran into the ring during our run, when I looked up to see the owner it was of course the so called 'obedience' instructor
It is definitely worth looking around to find the best class for you and your dog - don't go to the first/cheapest/closest that you find. We travel nearly an hour for a puppy class, this is probably a bit extreme but it is because I like the methods and feel that we only have this crucial stage once so I want us to have the best experience possible...
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-01-2011, 11:57 PM
we went to one that was recommended to us by a pet shop before we even got our pup and i wish i hadnt bothered i wasnt happy with it and now i go to a one on one trainer and i am very pleased with it and the training suits me and my pup.
as the others have said go and observe first and see if u are happy with them.
TheABCs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Having done obedience with my lurcher, I think it is important to watch and see whether all dogs are trained in the same manner. Often this is collie-orientated, which doesn't always suit other breed types. Ilse, who is a lurcher, got quite depressed at obedience (which is why we now do agility), and all the owners booming "Sit!" at the group "stay" part of obedience, I am sure sounded like the Voice of Doom to her. In agility too, you find that some trainers will attempt to train sighthounds in a similar manner to collies. I've always felt this way didn't suit Ilse being a chasing type dog rather than a shepherding one, and, now that we have a smooth collie, I can see how much the instincts of each dog come into play. So, ideally, an obedience trainer who owns or has trained a variety of breeds, or understands the different drives, may be something to look for as your dog is not a collie.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Definately agree with watching before you sign yourself up. If they do anything you wouldn't be happy doing to your own dog, then leave and find somewhere else
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 01:03 PM
Think above is sound advice. I only wish I had thought of this before booking our new obedience classes as it is not a suitable class for Cherry and I have paid upfront for 12 weeks!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >