Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
So, I have a question then please Were these "support systems" in place before the days of Tony Blair/Gordon Brown, and if not, then we managed without them before, so why are they so necessary nowadays then? Just a question! I'm erring on the side of things like I said earlier, that Brown created so many public sector jobs just to make the figures look good!
How did we ever manage to get an education in the winter when the heating was frozen we had to wear coats and gloves in the classroom, the schools and facilities were antiquities, we had classes of 30 minimum and yet had a high standard of reading and writing etc. It's amazing really.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by Deedee1321 View Post
I'm really offended... But not surprised about some peoples attitudes towards public sector workers.

I'm a children and families social worker, I have a caseload more than double the "recommended" amount. I work tonnes more hours than i'm contracted for (and before people start jumping on me for saying I get overtime, we don't, we don't get that anymore. We get time owed back, although I never am able to take it all back as I am far too busy.) our team are 3 staff down already and if anyone leaves they aren't getting replaced, we are yet to find out if anyone is being made redundant but they are considering those who want to take voluntary redundancy first. We are hated by the public and ripped to shreds by the press - we can never respond as we are bound by confidentiality. My job is both physically and mentally knackering, but I do it cos I want to make childrens lives better.

So before everyone jumps on all public sector workers - think about a day in their shoes (without the sway put on it by the Daily Mail)

Dee
Well put.....
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Deedee1321 View Post
I'm really offended... But not surprised about some peoples attitudes towards public sector workers.

I'm a children and families social worker, I have a caseload more than double the "recommended" amount. I work tonnes more hours than i'm contracted for (and before people start jumping on me for saying I get overtime, we don't, we don't get that anymore. We get time owed back, although I never am able to take it all back as I am far too busy.) our team are 3 staff down already and if anyone leaves they aren't getting replaced, we are yet to find out if anyone is being made redundant but they are considering those who want to take voluntary redundancy first. We are hated by the public and ripped to shreds by the press - we can never respond as we are bound by confidentiality. My job is both physically and mentally knackering, but I do it cos I want to make childrens lives better.

So before everyone jumps on all public sector workers - think about a day in their shoes (without the sway put on it by the Daily Mail)

Dee

Social workers get a right hammering in the press i agree and sometimes you get it wrong......but what about all the times you get it right, they dont report that.

but nobody is holding a gun to anyones head to do any job........think of your quality of life.

[i will get shot for this as well i expect]
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Like teachers, and nursing staff people have trained hard to work in their profession and to achieve their degrees why should they give it up people should respect for them for what they do if they didn't do it and we wouldn't or couldn't do it where would we be ? Not shooting you down this time just saying people have trained hard to get where they are.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
Social workers get a right hammering in the press i agree and sometimes you get it wrong......but what about all the times you get it right, they dont report that.

but nobody is holding a gun to anyones head to do any job........think of your quality of life.

[i will get shot for this as well i expect]

Did you log on looking for an argument? There are better ways of working off your stress! Taking your dog for a walk perhaps?
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
Like teachers, and nursing staff people have trained hard to work in their profession and to achieve their degrees why should they give it up people should respect for them for what they do if they didn't do it and we wouldn't or couldn't do it where would we be ? Not shooting you down this time just saying people have trained hard to get where they are.
Only give it up if its spoiling their life.

Nobody wants to listen to people moaning about their job all day long. Life should be about quality of life. AND WHY WOULD SOMEONE WANT TO DO A JOB THEY ARE MOANING ABOUT ALL DAY LONG.

sorry bout caps not shouting
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
How did we ever manage to get an education in the winter when the heating was frozen we had to wear coats and gloves in the classroom, the schools and facilities were antiquities, we had classes of 30 minimum and yet had a high standard of reading and writing etc. It's amazing really.
I honestly don't know and my classes had 44 pupils in each one, every year, and yet we managed to learn grammar and how to spell properly didn't we Different world, grammar isn't necessary nowadays apparently, nor is spelling, coz I suppose the puter does it all, and it adds up too, so WHY do we need more teachers then????

If things get tough at home, we have to cut back, I know it only too well, but you cut back where you can, you can't go on living on credit it has to be repaid one day doesn't it and that's the job they've got but with bigger numbers. As I said earlier, if I had their intelligence I'd be sitting in No. 10, so I have every faith in them that they know what they're doing, and if they can find ONE man to do the job of 2 or 3 or 4 even, then so be it if it gets us ALL out of this mess.

Just something I found out today..... pensioners get £100 a week and £25 spouse added, BUT, immigrants get £27K a year with all THEIR handouts, now can that possibly be right??? That came from an MP today who's car was in for service at hubby's garage!!!! JOKE! It;'s got to stop!!!!! That's more than hubby earns with his 14 hour day!!!!
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-10-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Did you log on looking for an argument? There are better ways of working off your stress! Taking your dog for a walk perhaps?

I logged for for a disscussion on todays news...........seems that if I am not agreeing with people I am not wanted.

So be it.

It is easier to agree and be a yes man I am sure
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by kobi View Post
Genuine savings should be made, but there seems to be a lot more gloating in this instance.
People are to be put out of work.
Its always a personal disaster for the individual
I agree with this - I am sorry for anyone who has lost, or is about to, lose their job. There are jobs and positions that could be lost in many companies if necessary and I can understand why these can be targeted when it comes to belt tightening. I do feel for the individuals involved though.

But to be honest, its about time the public sector is targeted.

To many incompetent people in jobs for life , and do little to earn their money , yet have increadable pensions and benifits.

Agreed.

I have met many people over the last few years that work in the public sector and the ''brag'' about how little they do and their wages. Some actually take three-four weeks off sick as the norm.

wages./benefits and pensions are very very good and most only work mon to fri.

Cushy little number I would say.

Teachers... take four weeks annual leave a year and work 8 til 6 like the rest of us.

no sympathy here..
rant over lol
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Hmm.....with all the extra paperwork/marking out of hours stuff teachers have to do, you really think they have it easy?
Don't teachers do a lot of 'background' work outside the classroom, e.g. lesson plans, etc.? I know of one who would work at home until late every evening, plus weekends. Then she'd go into the classroom 'after hours' too.
Deedee1321
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Only give it up if its spoiling their life.

Nobody wants to listen to people moaning about their job all day long. Life should be about quality of life. AND WHY WOULD SOMEONE WANT TO DO A JOB THEY ARE MOANING ABOUT ALL DAY LONG.

sorry bout caps not shouting
Sorry if you feel like I'm moaning, what I was trying to do was show you that public sector workers don't have it all rosy and aren't all lazy pen pushers as you seem to think.

Although a lot of your responses suggest to me that you really lack understanding as to a lot of the public sector and maybe just want to rile people up.

My job IS hard, but I know I'm making a difference in childrens lives and see that every day. I like my job and wouldn't do it if I didn't, I'm not the type of person who would stop doing something just cos it was difficult!

Dee
Page 7 of 27 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »