View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2014, 05:29 PM
I have a Mac Book pro. Did look at the air but as it didn't have a dvd drive (you would have to buy a separate unit) I went for the pro as I tend to back up my photos onto disk.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2014, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by Sue L View Post
I have a Mac Book pro. Did look at the air but as it didn't have a dvd drive (you would have to buy a separate unit) I went for the pro as I tend to back up my photos onto disk.
Thanks Sue Do you love it?
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2014, 08:03 PM
I love it.

Doesn't seem to have as many problems with viruses etc.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2014, 08:09 PM
I bought my daughter a MacBook Pro for the same reason - A Levels and then Uni. It lasted seven years including being dropped, drowned in vodka and coke and various other adventures. She love it and the fact that the software upgrades were free so she didn't have to buy and new software (well, we didn't I guess lol).

She has decided after working for two years to go back to Uni to do her Masters and has just bought herself a MacBook Air which she loves just as much so I think which one is personal preference, they are both great according to her.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Sue L View Post
I love it.

Doesn't seem to have as many problems with viruses etc.
Pro it is then Thanks so much xx
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-11-2014, 09:19 AM
I have a macbook pro, I've had it for 4 years and never had any problems until recently when my ram started playing up. It's pretty much been solved since I switch it off instead of letting it go to sleep over night, so really, I've not had any problems and it's been dropped a few times etc. If you go for it, I'd go for one with a metal casing as they're sturdier than the plastic
All in all I couldn't be happier with it, it's never slowed down and I'm using it a lot at work and at home!

The only thing that might happen is that the charger might stop working at some point. I had to buy a new one for £60 (if that happens, don't buy a cheap one of ebay, they will last about a week!) but that might be because I was never very careful with it and it was dropped and flung around quite a bit
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2014, 09:44 AM
I agree Florence, the plastic ones don't last long. I had one for about 3 years then bits started to crack round the edge where it shuts. Gave it to my sister. Also been there with a cheap charger. OH said don't buy from Apple cheaper on the net. Yes but it only last about two months then had difficulty getting it to charge. So ended up with the right one and no problem since so worth the extra.

My eldest is on about his umpteenth pro but then most of them have been bought by his employer so have had to be left when he moved on. His own is about 8 years old and he has had no problem with it.

Apple stores are also very good at helping with problems and sometimes they don't charge of the help
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Thanks CHELLIE,FLORENCE & SUE,you've been a great help Going to go take a look at both today.Sales staff are great,but it's better to hear from people who use them on a daily basis,personal experience I'd rather go on and I find you get straight up,no nonsense reviews that way Price tag is pretty hefty but sounds like you get what you pay for and they seem to last as well
Thanks again xx
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2014, 03:57 PM
Sorry, no useful advice to offer here.
I work in IT support and my stomach drops every time someone calls up with a Mac problem.
In my experience people get them because they are "cool" not necessarily because they know how to use them.
They are brilliant for anyone in Design and Graphics and things like that though, can't beat a Mac for that.

The restrictions of what you can do/get with a Mac versus a Windows machine makes it so I'd never want a Mac myself, but I know especially the kids today are obsessed with anything that has an Apple Logo on it.

Unfortunately Currys is not always the best place to get honest and objective advice as they are instructed to "push" certain products to meet their sales targets.

Wish I could add something positive other than "DON'T GET A MAC" :P
I'd probably go with the Pro if I "had" to choose one or the other, for the reasons previously stated.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2014, 05:53 PM
WolfWitch,please tell me about the restrictions.Will admit to not having much of a clue Sales guy really wasn't pushing it today,actually told me to hold off till Friday( Black Friday) to see if either come down in price.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >