Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-11-2012, 09:17 PM

Goats milk flavour - what's that!?

I bought some Chavroux goats cheese in the week, and on the ingredients it says it includes "natural goats' milk flavour"... what on earth could that be?
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 09:21 PM
Must be made with goats milk
Azz
Administrator
Male 

30-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Lol it already has goats milk and salt on the ingredients list Pat... I just wondered what on earth goats milk flavouring consists of
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I bought some Chavroux goats cheese in the week, and on the ingredients it says it includes "natural goats' milk flavour"... what on earth could that be?
Azz I always think goats milk tastes a bit like goats smell so perhaps they have added a bit of 'scent of goat' to the milk
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-11-2012, 11:28 PM
Oh yuck! Have you ever been to the Great Orme in North Wales? The goats there have a very unpleasant smell and now I'm imagining the taste. Ew!

http://www.llandudno.com/goats.html
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

01-12-2012, 12:24 AM
Did you know 70% of the worlds milk consumption is goat's milk ?

It's a shame goat's milk tastes like a farm as it's so much better for you.

That said - we sometimes buy local cow's milk and at certain times of the year they're fed neeps. Corn flakes that taste of swede take some getting used to LOL
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-12-2012, 12:33 AM
I read that the reason most goats milk smells of goats or 'farmy' is because it is pasteurised - I bought some RAW goats milk and it didn't smell at all. I used it for milk Kefir so it just tasted like Kefir.

I don't have the best sense of smell tho - think that happens when you live with a big dog
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Oh yuck! Have you ever been to the Great Orme in North Wales? The goats there have a very unpleasant smell and now I'm imagining the taste. Ew!

http://www.llandudno.com/goats.html
Goat milk can be ferocious and smell the house out. I had a goat I kept in milk nine years without being in kid and her milk was pure and untainted. I made soft cheese and hard cheese and they were grand, Tangy but untainted.

The only time there was a stench was when I once tried to get her mated. It is the males that stink... Could hardly get near her for days.

This was on a small island and the local goat man would go to the Post Office,, as soon as he left the post mistress would get a large can of air freshener out.

Maybe some afficionados like that goat taint; same as some folk like blue cheese which smells and tastes worse than any goat cheese to my way of thinking
Azz
Administrator
Male 

01-12-2012, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Rosebud77 View Post
I had a goat I kept in milk nine years without being in kid and her milk was pure and untainted. I made soft cheese and hard cheese and they were grand, Tangy but untainted.
I'd love to make my own cheese - is it difficult? Could you post a how-to for me please?
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
I'd love to make my own cheese - is it difficult? Could you post a how-to for me please?
Soft cheese is easy; all you need is rennet which you can buy. Long time ago but simply add the rennet to the milk and leave overnight, then strain gently through muslin.. curds and whey this is and the whey is great in scones.

Add salt and eg chives.

There is an Indian soft curd cheese made with lime juice but i never tried that. Wouldf work with whole cows' milk I think

For hard cheese you start the same way but you need a press. I improvised with a coffee tin and weights. The idea is to press all the moisture out and consolidate and mature the curds. That takes awhile as it has to be done gently and the cheese turned frequently. I did this once but preferred the soft cheese.. easier. The hard cheese was excellent by the way eventually.

Goat milk is ready homogenised ie no cream at the top which facilitates cheese making.

I love goat cheese but it is too costly for me these days. Sampled some at the last craft and food fair though...

All this was in my self sufficency years.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >