Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 10:46 AM

Separation anxiety in very young puppy

i have an 8 week old SBT Mouse, i also have her mum Ella and her dad Ronnie. when we have to go out we leave Mouse with her mum and her Dad in a seperate room. our neighbours have told us that while we are out Mouse cries quite alot, we thought that as she was with her mum she would be ok but this is obviously not the case. she is very attatched to us when we are in and follows us around constantly, at night she cries to get in our bed, which i must admit i do tend to give in to as she is so tiny. she is also more attatched to her dad than her mum, but obviously we cannot leave her with him as he is a large dog and i know males can be unpredictable around pups. i do not want her to get stressed when we are out and do not want to upset my neighbours, any advice on how we can address this before it becomes a bigger problem? thankyou.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-11-2010, 10:50 AM
Could you crate her and leave her in the same room as Dad, when I have pups or small dogs in the house I always crate them and leave them with the rest of the rabble.
mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
Could you crate her and leave her in the same room as Dad, when I have pups or small dogs in the house I always crate them and leave them with the rest of the rabble.
its worth a try although she may stress more, when dad is on his chair she cries infact virtualy howls because she cant get on there with him, then he cries with her, gets off his chair and lays with her. so crating her might stress them both.....
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Practice leaving them alone for a few minutes at a time while you're home and gradually extend the time, it's something she needs to get used to. You could also try doing it in a room where dad doesn't have his chair, try giving him a bed at the side of the crate.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

02-11-2010, 11:08 AM
it doesnt sound like sep anx, more like the nature of a pup.

do you have any reason to think your male dog would be agreesive to the pup?
mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Practice leaving them alone for a few minutes at a time while you're home and gradually extend the time, it's something she needs to get used to. You could also try doing it in a room where dad doesn't have his chair, try giving him a bed at the side of the crate.
Thankyou for the advice, we will definately try the crate, anything not to upset the neighbours they are very negative about my dogs already, although my dogs are well behaved and have never given them any reason, they just don`t like the breed which is so stupid and undeserved
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

02-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Yeah I know I have a Staffie too and people either love them or hate them, Marmite dogs
mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
it doesnt sound like sep anx, more like the nature of a pup.

do you have any reason to think your male dog would be agreesive to the pup?
no Ronnie is very gentle and caring towards Mouse but Mouse is only 4.5 inches tall ( the runt of a litter we had) and dad is a big dog weighing at least 4 stone, so he could injure her accidently just because of the size difference, we wouldnt want to take the risk.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-11-2010, 11:17 AM
I would try to build up her independence in the house - probably time to wean her out of your bed and into her own bed, don't let her follow you around the house (use babygates between rooms if you have to), start to teach her to "settle" on a mat slightly away from you, etc., this may help. I know it will be tough but it's better for her in the long run to not be so dependant on you.
mattsgal
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Yeah I know I have a Staffie too and people either love them or hate them, Marmite dogs
yeah very true, i just wish people would judge the dogs individualy they may be surprised
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >