Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
This may be just semantics, but isn't that the perfect description of 'dominance'?

i.e. the strongest/fittest dominate the weak/ill by beating/injuring/killing them in a fight?

A definition of dominant:
1: a:commanding, controlling, or prevailing over all others
b: very important, powerful, or successful

2: overlooking and commanding from a superior position

So by definition the breeding pair controls the pack because they are the only ones who breed - they control the size and wellbeing of the pack. So they 'dominate' the pack.
Yes it will all be down to interpretation but it has been proven that whilst the 'alpha' pair control/dominate breeding they do not in other aspects of the packs life so no one or pair of animals have absolute control.
With regards to humans and dogs what CM advocates is complete and total control over your dog but that simply doesn't occur in nature. The relationships are far more fluid than that. Only in Humans, particularly when someone decides they feel the need to control a particular section of our own society for their own selfish needs/desires/beliefs.
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Sorry Ramble, I'm having difficultly trying to say what I mean..can't quite find the right terminology.

yes, I would think that all behaviourists need to teach a change in behaviour.

But there is a line between teaching/training correct behaviours which may have drastic consequences and teaching/training other skills and 'niceties'.
But you need to teach the niceties in order to have control of the bigger behaviours surely? The most basic behaviour in obedience or anything else is a sit..you must eb able to teach a solid sit in order to be a behaviourist and control the greater behaviours? I think it is vital for behaviourists to be trainers...but not all trainers need to be fully fledged behavioursits....as they tend to teach the 'niceties' if you see what I mean?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Ah - i get you now. No, you dont need to be able to train a dog to understand what its problem is, but you need to be able to train a dog as part of solving its problem
Thats what I was trying to say. As a behaviourist you have to train a dog in order to change a behaviour...therefore you have to be a trainer...
BUt
as a trainer it helps to have an understanding of behaviours...BUT you can do it without..just possibly not as well as someone who understands why the dog behaves as it does.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
Agreed totally, and very easy with a dog you have had from a pup, not so easy with a stray rescue, who A you don't know there name, so have to give a new name and B has never been taught, that food, toys, treats are great things and worth coming back for, and c from the looks has been left to do what they please for the first 8 months to a year of their life, so you're trying to start training just as they are hitting their teenage months

Which is where my Food circuit works!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Which is where my Food circuit works!
hand feeding a rescue is one of the best ways of bonding it to you. Its funny how people have a problem with it. They really want the dog to have dinner etc in a bowl.

rune
Annestaff
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Off topic posts removed, please stay on topic
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 12:24 PM
Is it possible we have never seen CM sort out a recall issue....because he CANT sort out a recall issue?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 12:25 PM
Is it possible we have never seen CM sort out a recall issue....because he CANT sort out a recall issue?

Yes. That is possible.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
hand feeding a rescue is one of the best ways of bonding it to you. Its funny how people have a problem with it. They really want the dog to have dinner etc in a bowl.

rune
I'd not heard that before (but am on a steep learning curve with rescues!)
That's really interesting...I fed Tango loads when she came...not all her meal as I wanted her to feel chilled out when eating that, but I kept a bit back and called her to me and made a fuss of her a lot...so she associated me with good stuff. Mind you I do the same with puppies too.
Judging by the way she bounced up to me when I came down late this morning (OH got up with the doglets today which is unusual so she missed me I think)...she has bonded!

Interesting point though.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2009, 12:32 PM
fair point. good question
Page 9 of 25 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »