Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lurcherlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-07-2006, 11:46 AM

Bitch spay, possibly gone wrong?

My lurcher bitch was spayed 11 days ago, she had her stitches out yesterday, i was wondering wether the vets cocked up on it, it was a locum vet that did it as my usual vet was on holiday and hes the only one that i really trust with my dogs. The nurse said that she had had an alergic reaction to the stiching material. Some of the wound is still slightly open and it has been oozing a little blood.
Has anyone seen a spay wound like it before? My other bitch was spayed 4 years ago when she had a c section and hers was fine.

Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 11:51 AM
hiya!
What a worry.
Strangely I was talking to someone about a similar case to this only last week. A bitch had been speyed and had an allergic reaction to the internal stitches. She had the outer stitches removed but in the end developed a hole in the wound. I THINK they had to open her up again, so if I were you i'd go back to the vet asap. Not sure it's a cock up to be honest, just unfortunate that she's had a reaction to the stiches.
Hope she's okay and that this helps. Ax
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Yep, get her to the vets, poor girl. You don't want to have that kind of rawness for long, as it leaves her exposed to infection.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Echo the above, get her back to the vets, you can't leave the poor girl like that.
As already said it could be an allergy to stitches or just some fluid trapped between the two laters of sutures that needs to be drained before the outer can heal.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 02:05 PM
Yep Ditto I would just go back to your normal vet if you are in any way concerned. I'm no expert but that doesn't sound too good. Poor girl hope she's feeling better soon
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 02:32 PM
that looks painful i would def get that seen to asap
good luck
Lurcherlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-07-2006, 02:51 PM
Well she was only at the vets yesterday to have stitches out so they did see the wound like it, they just said if they kept the stitching in it would make it worse. She has to go back on saturday for another check up. It doesn't seem to be bothering her that much, she is her normal self, it's just really hard to not let her run, i feel really guilty putting her through it.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-07-2006, 03:13 PM
is she on any antibiotics ?
Lurcherlover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by Inca
is she on any antibiotics ?
yes synulox.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Hi Lurcherlover I have seen worse, it's hard to tell from a picture but it doesn't look terribly infected (it doesn't have yellow puss oozing yuk sorry ) it does look sore and inflamed though and it wants watching very carefully.

Saturday is a long way away, if you are not happy or worried in any way return to the vets. If you only started on the ABs yesteday they do take about 36 hours to start taking effect. I have found vets often advise puffing some AB powder onto these kind of wounds too so you don't have to touch it.

Hope she will be better soon, don't feel quilty it does happen occasionally .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >