View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2014, 10:47 PM
I'm afraid that if I didn't eat meat, I'd probably have to survive on beans on toast . I'm a faddy eater who hates most veg. Fruit's OK in small doses - well, some of it anyway. I also hate pasta (did I mention I'm a picky eater)

Yep, ethically, I'd love to be a veggie - I really would. The reality for me is that I wouldn't be very healthy if I was.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2014, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I'm afraid that if I didn't eat meat, I'd probably have to survive on beans on toast . I'm a faddy eater who hates most veg. Fruit's OK in small doses - well, some of it anyway. I also hate pasta (did I mention I'm a picky eater)

Yep, ethically, I'd love to be a veggie - I really would. The reality for me is that I wouldn't be very healthy if I was.
You must be a blast to go for a meal with I thought I was bad!!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-11-2014, 11:09 PM
I'm a vegetarian and so is my OH. As a child I never liked meat and used to sneak it to the dog whenever possible. As a young teenager I learnt about vegetarianism and spoke to my Mum about it. Since I was an animal lover and didn't like meat anyway she allowed (I say allowed because she cooked most of the meals and bought the food) me to do it. It lasted a until my late teens when I started trying more things including meat and found that I actually liked it, along with a range of things I didn't like as a child. Your tastes really do change.
But I was very fussy about it and had to be in a meaty mood, and still prefered 'fake' sausages and mince.
Eventually I obviously reverted back, and took my OH with me. It was simply a statement where I said, "I'd like to be vegetarian again but I don't really want to cook two meals every night" and he said "I'll be vegetarian, lets do it!" I nearly feel over as I'd always thought of him as a meat and two veg sort of man.
We are both happy as vegetarians, but I will admit that takeaways and fast food all taste horrible once there is no meat.
Oh and we eat fish, so pescatarians really.
I tried vegan cheese and it was horrible, plus we like eggs and get them from a friend who has lots of chickens who live a happy life. You can taste the difference between these eggs and store bought.

As for my dog, I would never ever feed him a veggie diet (unless his allergies develop further and he starts reacting to all meat... we are getting there haha). I do not agree with it and even more so regarding cats and other CARNIVORES. He gets raw, he has a chest freezer (twice the size of our freezer) full of meat including trotters. We also feed mice and rats (dead) to our snake. And I occasionally cook a bit of meat for our hamsters and gerbil.

I will also make meat food if we have guests over unless I know they will be happy to eat veggie food. I don't expect to go to their house and have to eat meat, so I don't think they should come to mine and expect to eat meat alternatives. And I hate it when I go out for a meal and people apologise and make a fuss because they are sat with a chicken breast or stake or something. But I hate it even more if they try to offer me some, or insist you'd like it if you tried it. I'm not pushing my opinion on you, so give me the same respect... Except of course my opinion that you should do that! haha
sandgrubber
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2014, 12:35 AM
The OP states: "Meat has no nutritional value without potential dangers like salmonella poisoning as well as parasites."

Many of the worst salmonella outbreaks in the US in recent years have been caused by nut butters, fruits, sprouts and vegetables... others have been traced to handling reptiles. Chicken is a big offender, but salmonella from red meat is pretty uncommon. Parasite infections from eating meat are extremely rare.

See
http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/outbreaks.html
http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/outbre...aks/index.html

Your opinions are welcome, but please, check your facts.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Our teeth are still evolving.Our jaws are smaller than those of our ancestors.They tore meat from bone with their teeth,we use a knife and fork to do that.Over a third of the population today don't have wisdom teeth.Some research suggests in the future,wisdom teeth will disappear altogether,because are jaws are smaller we have no room for them.Our food today is softer and easier to chew,our teeth are evolving accordingly
Am paraphrasing from an interesting article I read called "5 signs humans are still evolving".
I think meat is not necessarily the necessity it once was,given the array of food available to us.I could be knocking off 10 years of my life by not eating it or succumb to a disease related to nutrient deficiency because of lack of.Who knows? but what we chose to put in our mouth is entirely up to ourselves.i choose not,but would never force my opinions on anyone who enjoys a nice steak or pot roast Different strokes for different folks...Bon appetit!!
But we sTIll have molars for grinding and incisors for shearing through meat - it would take a million years for that fundamental fact change so radically, if ever. Homo sapiens are omnivores which says it all. As an animal lover I would much prefer to be veggie but I simply do not believe that it is a healthy diet. I eat meat about once a week, fish the same - red meat about once a month if that. I eat a ton of raw salad every day and a little fruit. I believe I have a pretty natural and healthy diet.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2014, 11:22 AM
There is nothing so tasty as sinking the teeth into a nice juicy streak cooked medium rare together with a breast of chicken.
Or I am very partial to eating turkey -goose-duck- venison with veg.

What would Christmas be like without a nice big turkey with all the stuffing? terrible and without you would find it hard to have friends or relatives coming to enjoy the feast.

Imagine sitting at the Christmas dinner table eating bread sticks stuck into a sprout in an attractive layout on a plate.

Oh well some might like it but not me and Sam an Ella would be banned anyway
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2014, 04:01 PM
I love meat right or wrong. If I had to kill a cow to eat it. Could I look it in the eyes and do it no.but I don't have to , call me whatever u want .im not stupid I will not buy a factory kept chicken ever. Or buy eggs in the same way. I believe all animals should be allowed freedom to roam and eat the food God intended for them.
I have great respect for the animals I eat, I can't stand even cows being hit to move them on from field to field as one unlucky farmer found out.
But as one post said will u want your dog to eat veg.?
lovemybull
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2014, 06:32 PM
It's complicated in my family. First off I can't cook to save my life. I digress...toasted cheese, scrambled eggs, I can bake VERY well...sweets and cookies nomnomnom.

And I work wacky hours so my grown son or hubby usually make the meals. That is always some form of animal protein, hamburger or a roast they always have meat.

If it was totally up to me I would have a steak and baked potato maybe three times a year and that is all the meat I would eat period. Fish I don't get emotional about, but other meat especially pig I would not eat at all.

My case against eating pigs is that I've read how much they resemble dogs, their intelligence, being affectionate towards humans, like cows quite trusting.

So what do humans do to them? Confine them in filthy cages, rip off their gonads, take away their young if they reproduce, stun them and cut them to pieces, sometimes while they're still alive.

Maybe even scratch the yearly steak, I could do well with nice mushroom substitutes thank you.
KingPitbull
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-11-2014, 07:20 PM
I see most of you folks are ok with eating meat.

I was curious to see what most other people thought about eating meat especially people who love animals.

I guess my curiousity has been satisfied. Alrhough I was not expecting that most of you are ok with meat.

I should not put expectations on anyone.

I just thought maybe there were other people here who felt similar to me. I suppose not.

I have honestly based my first post on some facts and some opinions.

There are various resources out there about it.

I mean, is it any wonder why other countries who have more modest, vegetarian diets have considerably less illnesses and epidemics(such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity) than America?

I have a feeling there are people here who doubt animal protein could be linked to increased risk of diabetes:
http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1564952

Funny how lots of you think that if meat is ok for your dog, its ok for you.

I don't think that is a very common sense reason to eat meat.

Vultures eat dead (sometimes human) carcasses, so does it make it ok for us to as well?
Jakesmummy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-11-2014, 11:40 PM
Who said that if there dog eats meat it's ok for us, and even if they did that don't mean I have the same opinion ,or anyone else here ty.
Your just a bit of a wind up merchant anit you, tell u what if we were that stupid and I believe that's what your saying , then il be licking my own ass like my dog does.
U seem to be upset not everyone is of your opinion ,
This is a friendly site for ppl who love there pets.talk about there pets.
I'm pretty sure I didn't read anything saying please feel free to come in and offend ppl
And I'm dam sure I dont stand at a slaughter house door clapping when a cow is killed.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »