Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 10:36 AM
I do apologise, I though you said:

it just seems to be in training that he doesnt have the same enthusiasm

therefore my obviously misplaced idea was to replicate the show scenario in your training to correctly identify why the dog does not have enthusiasm during training.

Just a thought, probably entirely worthless.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 11:56 AM
I was not dismissing your idea...hence why my post had a "?" on the end of the sentence. I'm finding your advice helpful.
No need for the attitude.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 11:59 AM
? I do not have an attitude, if I could not be bothered to help, I would not!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Your post seemed very sarcastic and a little 'arsey'. I apologise if i misinterpreted it.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 03:20 PM
When you say he is not stressed by the comp. environment, have you considered that maybe he IS stressed he just does not react to the dogs etc? Maybe its the tense atmosphere? or your not as calm as normal?

Just curious, thats all!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 04:13 PM
He runs better (ie. more driven, focused and has the speed)at competitions, its training I have the problem with.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
He runs better (ie. more driven, focused and has the speed)at competitions, its training I have the problem with.
hows about going back to a club instead of the one-one?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hows about going back to a club instead of the one-one?
That would probably be the best thing to do, however, the club i was training at is not so good- i just went there for convenience (he was just the same there- un motivated) but the other decent clubs near to me are full to the brim with long waiting lists and the others are on a weeknight i cant do.
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Almost every dog I know is far more excited at shows than in training. Just like the line always heard in a toilet queue .... " he never misses a contact in training but at a show he just doesn't get them ".
Both mine are much more hyped by the show atmosphere.
I mainly train on my own so where possible I try to put my boy dog in a class as it's the only time I can hope to pull him off a contact with a view to correcting and reinforcing. Personally I would try to get him into a class, not easy I know or maybe get a group of friends together and hire some equipment.

Doing small segment work is great and will help. Do you ever drive him on to the tuggy on the floor and then catch him up and play tuggy so he doesn't always look to you for the reward? I put mine on the rugby cones that players use for kicking rugby balls, it lifts the toy into the dogs vision and also makes it easier for the dog to pick it up as it lands.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
i dont think there is anything wrong with a year old slim fit collie doing a full round...they only take less than a minute
I don't think it has to be a problem physically---but mentally it could well be---which could well be why he he is swiching off---too high an expectation on him.

We used to compete at a year but it was wisely changed and I think a full course under competition conditions is too much for some dogs.

How does he compete at a year?

rune
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »