View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 01:12 PM
yeah the cresteds can do it, and i will be giving it a go with them too. dont think daphni would like it much, and asbo is only 6 months old so has a bit of growing left to do
but as ive said on some other threads, for my next dog im looking for a bigger breed to join my house, so would maybe want to try it with them as well.

i dont mind collies, there is a house down the road which has 4 gorgeous show type collies, i think about sneaking one out of the garden every time i walk past i like BSD my favourite is the gronendael (sp?) i also like australian sheperds but would they be too heavy do you think? my problem is i like too many breeds
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I'm not doing it to compete, just to give my boy something to do: -) He already jumps over the jumps I set out for the horses.
my Tupac got a round of applause at the common yesterday from a family... he was jumping over the benches on command
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-03-2011, 01:19 PM
I was surprised at the ages of some of the agility dogs..
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
I was surprised at the ages of some of the agility dogs..
my blue is 13 and still is as keen and able as he was when he was a whippersnapper
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 01:23 PM
the dogs at crufts range from a pappilon (?) to a weinermarer (?) and from about 2yrs up to 11yrs that I've seen
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 01:39 PM
I think you can do agility with any sort of breed apart from Bulldogs or Bassetts/Dachschunds (though I had a friend who did it with a wire-haired Dachshund but their legs aren't really long enough for the jumps and might put strain on their long backs?).

It's just if you were going to be competitive you would probably need to have a good think about which breed you wanted.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I think you can do agility with any sort of breed apart from Bulldogs or Bassetts/Dachschunds (though I had a friend who did it with a wire-haired Dachshund but their legs aren't really long enough for the jumps and might put strain on their long backs?).

It's just if you were going to be competitive you would probably need to have a good think about which breed you wanted.
no not really... its about the training.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
no not really... its about the training.
so do you think that the ammount of training can improve the dog's speed, manouverability (sorry cant spell it) ?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
so do you think that the ammount of training can improve the dog's speed, manouverability (sorry cant spell it) ?
speed is no good without an accurate dog and a good handler.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 01:54 PM
i see a powderpuff at shows often and she is amazing

personally I would say never get a dog to 'do' agility
get a breed you love and then if you both enjoy it have a go at agility

One thing I really hate is people who fall into agility with the breed they love then they go out and get collie after collie bacause they want to win

That misses the whole point of it (not to mention that all collies aint gonna be good agility dogs and not all handlers styles will be best with a collie)
Some of the best rounds I have seen were with a woman and her corgie - they were slow, they knocked every pole down, but they both had a blast, grinned at each other the full way around and at the end she was so happy and proud of her dog

imo if you get a dog to win you wont

Much better to get a dog you love, set goals for you are a pair and enjoy yourself - then you are a winner
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »